Graphics Card and VRAM

BlingBling 3k12

Somewhere... dunno though
if i buy a graphics card with 32MB of RAM, is that 32MB of VRAM or am I still stuck with 4 MB of VRAM (the 4 slots on my 7600 motherboard)?

of course those 32 megs of ram on the video card are video ram. you won't be stuck with the 4 megs of the 7600.

thanks... now i have one less "tiny" upgrade for this 7600

tiny = it's only $10 on ebay for 2 MB of VRAM

and even though my signature says 7200/75, i'm getting a 7600 Logic Board for DAMN CHEAP on ebay...

Wow bling sounds like you're really coming along w/ the Mac stuff :) great to hear!

I'd recommend the Radeon 7000 for your video card. Best PCI graphics card for the Mac, hands down.

Technically you will still be limited to the VRAM on the mobo if you're using the stock video port (but for a secondary monitor for palettes etc., this isn't a big deal). But using the radeon 7000, you could hook up 2 monitors and a TV, or 3 monitors, or whatever combo you want. Good stuff.

you could use the Radeon for your main monitor and then use the main board for your pallettes and secondary stuff....

a dual monitor setup rocks some serious sh*t.

i loved mine and the only reason i dont miss it terribly is the fact that my geforce 2 and my lacie monitor have some good screen real estate.

okay... thanx alot... i just hope i don't experience the troubles that are listed in the installation guide thingy on the ATI website...

BTW... can I get a GeForce 2 MX (pc) and get it to work in a mac or is there a special mac version... i couldn't find one online... but i don't know of all the places i can look either...

This is some shit:

I've got a beige G3 that i tossed in a 433MHz processor, a chunk of ram, and put in an a/v card and maxed out the onboard vram - so as of now, its a dual monitor setup.

i'm buying another radeon 7000 for it - that's two more. I'll have quad-monitor setup!!!! p0\/\/eR!!! can't wait to hook up 2 TVs and two monitors to it :)

No display on RADEON 7000 MAC EDITION when booting into Mac OS X on Beige G3
This information applies to the following system configurations:
- RADEON 7000 MAC EDITION
- Apple Beige G3 PowerMac or earlier Mac OS compatible computer
- Mac OS X version 10.1 or later

Any monitors connected to the RADEON 7000 MAC EDITION will appear blank when starting in Mac OS X on an Old-World PowerMac system. This issue does not occur in Mac OS 9.x.

Old-World PowerMacs are those computers which do NOT have a flashable boot ROM. This includes Apple Beige G3 and earlier PowerMacs, as well as Mac OS compatible systems from other vendors.

Packaging for initial shipments of RADEON 7000 MAC EDITION lists "Mac OS X version 10.1 or later" as a supported operating system. Apple's System Requirements for Mac OS X currently include a G3 or later PowerMac computer.

This issue has been resolved in Mac OS X version 10.1.5 or later. Updates are currently available using the Software Update feature in the System Preferences for Mac OS X.

For more information on using Software Update, please consult the online help or contact Apple Tech Support.

NOTE: Under Mac OS X 10.1.5, the RADEON 7000 MAC EDITION will not initialize until the Operating System loads. This will appear as a blue screen.

As such, the grey "Happy Mac" screen (which normally appears before the OS loads) will not be visible on any RADEON 7000 MAC EDITION display. If it becomes necessary to see this screen, you may need to connect a monitor to the onboard (built-in) display adapter.

This behaviour is due to the nature of the computer's firmware, which is working as designed.

See it at: http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/3986.html

did you have any of those problems thedbp?

edit: also, i won my ebay auction so now i will have a 7600 logic board within a week! wooooohoooo!

Back