Grey Screen... Thats it... nothing else...

potter__

Graphic Designer
I hope somebody here can help me cause I have gone through 4 logic boards, 3 track pads and a screen. I love apple from the start, hell I own 2 and I am a sarving student... But every once and a while my laptop goes well, a little funky.

I don't do anything out of the ordinary with it, it just seems to like to stop for several hours and not want to boot. It just gives me a grey screen... Thats it... I can go into my alternate booting window, but even with a bootable CD it won't find it. Even my Main G4 Booted up as a firewire won't show up! Normally I wait for 8 hours and it works again, but this time it has been 15 and the clock is ticking...

Nothing that I know has worked, Praming it does jack. Heck I can't even go into the command line to try anything... I have tried the DOCS with the main computer too, nothing. Command Option CTRL Shift Power for 5 seconds does nothing.

I'm running iBook 700 w/OS 10.3.2.

Please, Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... (Aside from going to apple since they just say "replace the logic board and continue on... That would make it 5)

Well, it is back up and running after leaving it for another few hours... took about 18 hours for it to come back to working bootable condition... I have no idea what is wrong or what I can do to prevent it, but if anybody else has a similar problem, just wait it out.

do you have one of those iBook that has the faulty logic board? there is a replacement program for that. and if you've already had it replaced, may be you can get reimbursed

I have had several logic boards replaced in it... and yes I was one of the people who had that batch of faulty boards. But when you get to the point where your computer is in the shop being repaired for the Xth time and applecare runs out, (they still covered everything), that you turn to other solutions in comparison to just replacing the thing that has been effected.

Sounds likely you're in the hunt for the latest repair program, if your system falls in the serial number range. Tough break to have several repair attempts without a permanent fix. That repair program applies even after warranty expires.
These good folks in this board can't help, unless someone has had good results with an outside repair of some kind.
My suggestion? Call Apple...again...ask if there's another option instead of additional repair, specifically ask for a system replacement. Some here will chuckle about that, but you don't get anything if you don't ask. All they can say is 'No' (or ?)

Always ask. But you'll probably end up with yet another logic board for your iBook. Which is quite okay, I think - although it's gonna take some time. But what you describe totally falls into the logic board failure category.

Back