Help me pick a wimpy iMac

lurk

Mitä?
Howdy all,

I am thinking of getting an old gumdrop iMac for my kids (4 and 2) to get them off of my machine and I was wondering how low could I go an still ahve a functional machine. I want to run OS X on it since I am not an OS 9 kind of guy. So If the game says it need a 233MHz machine could I run OS X on that and have somehting useable? If not how much higher in the old MHz scale should I go?

Remember this is for a four year old.

Thanks a bunch!

-Eric

I would get at least a 400mhz, mac osx will install on any g3 or g4 that isn't a pismo. Poor pismo!
But 233 with enough ram would be good enough for the kids.

A 400 or 500 mhz would suit the kids fine. Get 512 mb of ram and they will never have a problem. OS X will run fine on it. Just mAke sure you check to make sure firmware is updated before installing X.

i have a "strawberry" imac (400, 384mb, 14gb, dvd) that i am thinking about getting rid of. would you be interested?

OS X runs very well on my 400 Mhz iMac, though it's hard to run heavy-duty stuff like Photoshop or Alias Underground very easily. Your kids don't need to worry about that stuff, though, so cf25's iMac or a similar machine will suit you very well.

The nice thing about it is the DVD-ROM drive: you can rent them movies and they can watch on the computer, freeing up the TV as well! Very nice, no?

Thanks for all of the info that helps. cf25 I would be interested in your iMac my daughter likes the red ones :) The only problem is that it may not fit into my budget of a "coupla-hundred-bucks" PM me if you think it would fit in the budget.

Thanks!
-Eric

Back