Huge image sizes when loading down with IE

Tigger

Bring mich zum Licht!
Please try the following:

Take some picture that you find anywhere on the internet, and load it down to your desktop.
Look at the file size.

Then do the same with Omniweb.
Look at the file size.

With OW, I get normal filesizes, with IE, they are bigger than they shoud be!
A 20 kB .jpg appears to be 172kB!

And when I mail this jpg with Mail, then PC users get 2 files, one the picture with the right filesize (20kB), the other is 152 kB!
The bigger file (not usable by PC users) is of mime type application/applefile.
What is this? the difference between the pic downloaded by IE is that it has as icon a thumbnail of the pic. Are these the 152 kB? Can I get IE to NOT do this crap?

It seems that every picture downloaded by IE gets pumped up by 152kB.
Can anybody confirm this?

Yup, IE adds a custom icon and preview image to the file. That's what is accounting for the extra size. There's no way to turn off ths "feature".

Here are the (many) types of resources IE adds to each image you download:

ich#
ich4
ich8
ic14
ic18
ICN#
icns
ics#
ics4
ics8
ih32
PICT
pnot

As for your e-mail problem, it seems that it's having trouble sending the resource fork (where IE added that stuff), which it shouldn't send at all. My suggestion is to either don't use Internet Explorer or use a tool like GraphicConverter to strip the file of the resource fork.

In GraphicConverter:
Go to File -> Convert
Select the image(s)
Hold the Apple key
Press the "Del. Resource" button

Thanks for your answer.

I think Apple should really look for things like these and fix them.
Imagine the standard user that buys a Mac. He or she doesn't want to be bothered with browserwars or such things, they use the browser that comes preinstalled. Now they send a picture to someone who owns a PC, and they get a huge amount of crap sent in this mail.
Such things really piss people off and add to the opinion that Macs are not compatible to PCs!
:mad:

I now wrote myself a Applescript droplet that removes the resource, so I can mail files without much crap attached to them.

It basically uses the Terminal to copy (via cp) dropped files to a temp folder and move them back. So they are resource fork free.

Back