I just bought the new 800mhz iBook (plus airport question!)

goynang

Some guy
Hurrah!

Sorry, suddenly felt the need to share my joy with the rest of the world!

Whilst I'm here - I also have an old beige G3 and I'm guessing there's no way of hooking the two together using airport, is this correct?

Anyone else got any useful tips for doing it the old fashioned way with a cable - I have an ethernet lead somewhere around here.

Hurrah again!

using Jaguar on both machines or just one should be very easy to set up Airport communications.
In Jaguar, click on settings, and go to netowrk settings...
now click the Airport tab and make sure the "allow this computer to make networks" its checked... now go to the airport signal button on the menubar, and create a network...
go to the other machine and join the network you just created ... keep in mind that all this can be done with niether machine hooked to any internet device...
now just do filesharing or transfer with iChat rendevous....

easy....

Ah, perhaps I didn't make myself clear. I haven't actually ordered any of the airport stuff (card, basestation) yet - just the iBook itself. I was of the impression that my old beige g3 powermac won't actually work with airport and I was seeking clarification on that.

How does the airport basestation connect to a mac - is it USB or ethernet or something else? If it's USB then I do have a PCI USB card on my powermac but have had only variable success with USB peripherals in the past (some work, some don't).

Is anyone out there actually doing what I want - linking a legacy mac (non airport ready?????) with a new one via airport?

Back