iBrowser

old rumours, no news.

Two Ifs...

1) If Apple releases an iBrowse/iWeb/iWhatever, I will try it and if it's good, keep it. But I'd hate the very idea of it, anyway.

2) If Apple won't release an iWhatever browser, I'll be glad to have a choice between IE (which rocks in Jaguar), OW (which rocks anyway) and Mozilla.

I do not think Apple should make a browser of their own. It would just be another browser for web designers to see their sites messed up in. Unless the browser supports everything.

And that might make M$ mad. Apple should keep IE as their default browser.

I think iBrowser would be a bad idea. If Apple creates too many iApps, it risks marginalizing itself from any PC converts. In basic, it would remove any familiar landmark, like IE, making PC users uncomfartable, giving creedance to the myth that Macs are off on another planet and cannot work well with PC's.

Now if both IE and iBrowser were put on the computer, that would be fun. But which one would be default?

I think they will do it and I don't think it's really that bad. Having no apple "iBrowser" would leave a gaping hole in their iApps onslaught. The thing that makes this different from the bundling of apps and services we're used to being hit over the head with is that these things are optional parts of the OS. You can use them or not as you choose. Depending on what "iBrowser" was based on, I may or may not use it. I could just install whatever browser I wanted just as I can now.

People can still have IE if they feel better with it. But I really don't see people who already view macs as "off on another planet" being swayed by having IE installed or not. They'll never get to the point of noticing whether or not IE or whatever is the default browser. And, hey, maybe they've been spoon fed Bill's idea that they need everything incorporated into the OS (I've actually heard people say this - seriously) to have their computer function properly that the whole iApps thing would be a draw for new users...;)

And... completely NEW computer users buying their first computer (which I see being a better market play for Apple than trying to get PC users to jump ship) would have a great computer that does evrything they need in a seemless and coherent manner right out of the box. That'd be a draw for some of my idiot friends/relatives. The same people that buy a PC just cuz that's what everyone buys. Granted it would take some real ads from Apple driving this point home, but it's doable.

Back