iLife '04: Don't waste your money

kanecorp

Registered
If you gotta have it, download it, worth about 5 bucks.
I'm so pissed i drove all the way out to the apple store this for this s**t.
like, 7 new DVD themes, so minor updates to itunes and iphoto, garageband is a joke...
I'm very mad right now.

Maybe you're more cut out for the crappage that seeps onto Windows PC's than the refinement of Apple programs.

- GarageBand is awesome. I used it for 5 minutes and came up with a great melody. And it's one of the reasons my friend wants to switch to Mac.
- iPhoto has been sped up considerably. It's able to handle a huge library size, much bigger than before. That doesn't seem minor to me.
- I don't think iTunes was changed with this version of iLife.

I know this is your opinion and I can't change that, but I wouldn't consider iLife a waste at all. It's worth the $50 for GarageBand alone.

I'd never been upset with Apple (well, panther was quite upsetting as it is still very buggy), but never as unsatisfide as this.
I'd return it if i could, that's all i'll say

Nah, I can get it at the educational store for $29 so it would be a better deal to buy it new.

I just loaded it, the increase in speed in iPhoto is amazing. iMovie allows trasitions now with this version so my son is producing his High Schools Senior movie with iMovie instead of iDVD. We got the education discount so it was 29 + tax. Programmers and software this good cost allot of money so I gladly support Apple. Apple is on a roll and I for one am very happy to see it.

Neal

kanecorp said:
If you gotta have it, download it, worth about 5 bucks.
I'm so pissed i drove all the way out to the apple store this for this s**t.
like, 7 new DVD themes, so minor updates to itunes and iphoto, garageband is a joke...
I'm very mad right now.
the iphoto update is pretty major. you'd notice it if you used iphoto a lot. iphoto was crazy slow before, now it's crazy fast. just hit the scroll down button and hold it. wowee.

garageband a joke?
are you a musician? do you have a midi keyboard? if not, then it's probably not for you anyway. did you expect it to create music for you? i'm really interested in your backing up "garageband is a joke".
heck, soundtrack was a decent audio app, and this is leaps and bounds better.
i'm not switching over, because i use live and i love it, but it's extremely formidable-- especially considering the competition is $400+.

i have not try the new iLife... but from the Video Streaming of Steve Job KeyNote...

i bet my office boy (who is a PC guy) would scream what the GarageBand can do...

eheheh... for more... maybe u can read Arden post on #2

im still a happy Mac User...

I see garageband as being a specialty app for a small number of people. I'm surprised they would put so much effort into a program that few would use. I enjoy listening to music, but I don't know anything about making it, let alone have a midi keyboard.

So I would stand by the questioning response to Garageband.

However, I really would like to get my hands on a copy of the new iPhoto. I do use it fairly regularly, so I may end up spending that $50 again. I got it last time it came out because I wanted functionality between iMovie and iDVD which I had lost when I upgrade the free download of iMovie.

Dixon: Even if you aren't a musician, fire up GarageBand and check out what you can do with the loops. You'll find that if you at least know how to click and drag, you can make some great sounding stuff.

Kane: Oh well, I can understand you might want to sell it to someone else. If Gia will pay you $35 for it, then by all means go for it.

dixonbm said:
I see garageband as being a specialty app for a small number of people. I'm surprised they would put so much effort into a program that few would use. I enjoy listening to music, but I don't know anything about making it, let alone have a midi keyboard.

So I would stand by the questioning response to Garageband.

You forget that Macs are the industry standard for making and recording music. I would say that GarageBand is the opposite to a speciality app, it opens up the possibility of creating music on a mac in a cheap and easy way. It's a little like saying that iPhoto is a speciality app for a small number of people because not everyone has a digital camera. You don't even need a MIDI keyboard to use GarageBand.

There's a big discussion (a few actually) on Slashdot about iLife and the consensus seems to be, "stop whining, it's a bargain! Apple owes you nothing, they're great to you!". That might sound a little harsh but it's true. The current versions of iPhoto and iMovie are still free and downloadable. iDVD was never available free and is too big for a download. GarageBand is also about 2GB with the loops etc included so isn't feasable for download. Apple has put a lot of R&D into these programs and it's fair for them to charge, if only to cover the cost of media and distribution. Also, if you were to buy applications seperately with the same features, you'd be spending quite a lot of cash, so the Slashdotters are right. The new iLife is a fantastic deal.

Also, GarageBand will do wonders for Apple in terms of publicity, reputation and overall sales. Look what they've achieived with iMovie and Final Cut, well GarageBand will most likely help sales of Logic Pro and Express (yes, they've repackaged it in line with Final Cut).

Randman said:
Why did kane buy the iLife package if he/she didn't know what was involved? Caveat emptor anyone?

What does iLife have to do with buying caviar? :D

monktus said:
You forget that Macs are the industry standard for making and recording music.

No I haven't forgotten. But serious musicians and production teams don't use programs like garageband or even soundtrack for that matter. They use professional programs like Pro Tools.

monktus said:
I would say that GarageBand is the opposite to a speciality app, it opens up the possibility of creating music on a mac in a cheap and easy way. It's a little like saying that iPhoto is a speciality app for a small number of people because not everyone has a digital camera.

Everyone that I know who owns a Mac has a digital camera too. So I would disagree. I think iPhoto is more widely used than iMovie or iDVD.

Back