iLife '05

iLife "05

• Worth It

• Not Worth It

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ripcord

Senior Lurker
If I could figure out how to post a poll, I would...

iLife '05 - worth it? Or not?

Personally, the iPhoto and Garageband enhancements are worth it for me - I can actually use Garageband!

iPhoto 5 looks great. And the book features in look *really* good now, and the book ordering seems to be very reasonable, I'll probably build several of them (various types). (iPhoto 4: 43 page book - ~$128.00 iPhoto 5: 43 pages double-sided, hardcover: $38.96). I hope it's faster, though. Even with the speed improvements last year, iPhoto DRAGS on the iMac G5.

Don't really use iMovie and iDVD much, but I might start with the new versions!

It is worth it for iPhoto alone. The current version is pretty weak, IMO, and this new one really seems to tie up some loose ends.

Hot damn. I can't get over the fact that they put music notation in GarageBand. That's just freakin' great. I was going to look into buying music notation software separate from GarageBand, but not anymore! Whee!

Can't wait to kick my song-writing in to high-gear.

Yay for College Student discounts. $59

I guess it's a matter of whether you need the features or not. As I'm using GarageBand about twice a year, I'd say "why not, if it's better, okay" and I don't really use iPhoto's featureset to its best and could care less about iPhoto 5's manipulation features, since I'm usually doing much _more_ to the photos right away in Photoshop, anyway... But still: Organising photos seems to be much better in version 5, so I might shell out the money for it... I guess I'll have to see it in person. (I don't use iMovie or iDVD at all...)

Guess one could say that if you're happy with iLife '04, there's no reason to upgrade. Then again, I'll get my Mac mini soon, and that'll have the new version anyway... Ah. I'm happy. :)

yeah the music notation feature really blew me away....

at the price of 80 dollars u get such amazing apps...

and the fact that they come with the mac mini makes it even more appealing!!!!

most PCs out there for 500 dollars dont even come with a dvd player application!!!!

Too bad there's no upgrade price for iLife 04, but it's cheap enough.

I hear that iDVD can burn to a disk image so I can then burn with Toast which is worth it for me. iDVD doesn't support my DVD burner so this is awesome.

I bought the iLife set too (along with the iWork). The iMovie and iPhoto upgrades are worth it for me.

Totally worth it on a cost to feature ratio. I barely use the iLife apps, but I'll still get it. I probably won't even bother with the hoop-jumping hassle of an upgrade, it's so inexpensive. I would love to use iPhoto exclusively for photo management, but Portfolio is still the only app that can create a cross-platform searchable CD. (I like to send our keyworded family CDs).

Now if Apple could improve iPhoto's web generation to include keyword searching, that would rule. And even better if they could do it without requiring a server so you could just burn a CD of the HTML and image files. Problem is that Apple wants us to buy .Mac to post the images, so it'll never happen.

The thing I'm the most happy with is that now the iPhoto prints and photobooks are available worldwide, not just in the US, and the prices are actually quite good. I think I might blow a bit of cash on running of photobooks to use as gifts and so on.

No. During the show Steve announced there would be an upgrade price for Final Cut Express to the new Final Cut Express HD.

There is a student/education discount on iLife, though.

symphonix said:
There is a student/education discount on iLife, though.

Yeah, and at the current USD>Canadian exchange rate I can get it for less than the US price, in Canadian $ mwahahahaa. :p

Capt Code, did you watch the Keynote. One of the funny moments was when Steve was demonstrating dashboard, and was checking the US dollar against the Euro and the Yen, and he grumbled about how the dollar "sucked". When he was demonstrating how you call up the information with Expose-style hotkeys, he said "and I can see right away that its still raining outside, and the dollar still sucks."

symphonix said:
Capt Code, did you watch the Keynote. One of the funny moments was when Steve was demonstrating dashboard, and was checking the US dollar against the Euro and the Yen, and he grumbled about how the dollar "sucked". When he was demonstrating how you call up the information with Expose-style hotkeys, he said "and I can see right away that its still raining outside, and the dollar still sucks."

Yes that was quite hilarious. I also liked how he commented how maybe you wouldn't use the dollar conversion widget so much haha.

...My original message which started this thread complained that I couldn't figure out how to create an in-thread poll, so there wasn't one.

Since then, someone has added a poll to this thread. I'm curious how that was accomplished.

Sorry if my question appeared to be phrased in "someone set us up the bomb" format when you read it, but I think it was fairly clear.

Back