I'm so happy!

dave25

Registered
Hi everyone,

I'm a recent convert to Macs after years of using windoze. I use PCs at work (I'm in investment banking - no chance of finding Apple products there!) and have had two at home. The home PC was getting out of date and I was thinking about replacing it, when the new flat screen iMacs were announced. They looked so good that I knew I had to have one.

I've had my iMac for a month or so now and couldn't be more pleased with it. A few teething troubles were soon solved by asking for advice here (thanks Dricci!) and once I got a SpeedTouch 510 router and was set up on ADSL I was flying. I can walk into my study (as I did tonight), hit the "escape" key and have the computer ready to go in a fraction of a second, a single click on the browser icon and I'm surfing the internet - beats waiting ages for the PC to boot up! Everything I want to do (and everything my daughters need to do in connection with their schoolwork) is so intuitive and easy.

If anyone else is "lurking" here and wondering whether or not to take the plunge and change over from M$ to Mac, my advice would be "Run, don't walk, to the Apple store and get yourself a Mac. You'll never regret it!

Hey Dave,

Glad to hear that you are getting on well with Macs. I too work in The City in London, but I have seen a mac in a bank, believe it or not.

If you walk along the walkway between Bishopsgate and liverpool street station (behind Barings AM/Natwest markets (or whatever they are called now, etc.) there is a marketing department with a window out onto the walkway. In that room there is a G4 with a nice flat LCD screen. I was quite shocked to see it there.

I actually had to bring my iBook into work the other day and work on it. I was running VPC (NT4.0) and doing some work on it because I didn't have enough rights on the machine that I needed. You would not believe the amount of people who wandered over and made suitable comments. A lot of people got excited because they thought that the bank were going to 'get them decent machines at long last'. Too bad I had to let them down.

One funny incident: I had a techie consultant wander over and say words to the effect 'What have you got that heap of sh*t for?'. My retort: 'I have a laptop that is USB, firewire and wireless networking enabled. It runs UNIX and NT (with MSSQL server running on it).' Guess what - he went out and bought one.

R.

Hi all,

Just wanted to say how happy I am with my new iMac G4... I liked my old PC, I'd customised it with an internal Zip, CDRW, 2 HDs etc, but was getting fed up with crashes in W2K...

So I started looking at Linux, and was very happy with the ease of install and stability (I was testing Suse Linux 7.2 on an old server I have)...

BUT!!! My lovely wife refused to have "my nerdy toy" on the main PC as she uses a lot of clipart software and refused to believe it would run as well on Linux...

Until!!! we both saw the iMac G4 at the ideal home show in London. The apple salesman was great, extoling its Unix virtues to me and the graphics virtues to her.

So even though the old PC is still quite fast and useful, we bit the bullet and got the 700Mhz combo (would have been 800MHz but for the price)

I can honestly say I've never looked back. I dual ran OS X with OS 9 for a week or two, until an OS X driver for my scanner came out - then I reformatted the disk, and installed only OS X apps and dirvers. Reason is, I'm a new user who doesn't want to have to get used to 2 new operating systems, and OS X is more intuitive!

My wife loves the computer, we got Corel 10 and Office vX, both run like a dream (the first M$ product I've actually liked). I'm now wating for a fully featured scanner driver and DocsToGo for OS X and then I'll be completely happy.

By the way, to all those finance professionals - why not use macs in the office - we barely use PCs apart from Office and some proprietary financial software, easily ported to Unix I'm sure. Plus we'd have a lot more client kudos...

On a final note, although OS X was very intuitive, a great help was rgriff - his manual on using OS X and installing XWindows was amazingly helpful - I'd quite happily pay for it if he told me where to send the money (and that's after having finished with it - it's so good I want him to get some benefit from it)

On a final final note, who thinks Apple is going to release a PDA in the near future? I wouldn't mind replacing my palm v now...

Cokey

Congrats, dave25 and cokeymon! Glad to see you've joined the Mac community. :D Macs were the computers I got started on, and I have been using them since I was 2 (I'm 16 now.) Have fun with your new G4 iMacs!

Hey Dave...
Welcome to the "Macworld"!
I wish you a great stay in this "comunity".

Have fun :D

regards,
Gambit

Back