• Yes. Already ordered one.

• No. Worse than the Cube.

• Maybe. Will wait and see.

• What iMac? Where's my G5 PowerBook?

• Not Interested

Results are only viewable after voting.

Randman

HA! HA! HA!
It looks interesting, better than I thought it would, and the price and performance are attractive (no bluetooth option under BTO though). I'd like to see it in a desk setup with all of the wires hanging off it.

Your views?

I would have prefered the wires to have been connected (and hidden) by the stand, rather than hanging loose at the side.

Still a bloody nice looking piece of kit though.

*edited to add*
Scrub that, I've just seen another view of it, and all cables can be fed through the hole in the back of the stand..essentially hiding them from view.

Now I want one.

I'm impressed, although I'm not sure whether I like the enormous-looking amount of space below the screen. From the front it almost looks like an eMac. I'll have to go see it in person.

hm....i like it, its weird, but i like the all-in-one form factor. Looks a lot better than the Sony one it was compared to. I like the fact that it looks like the new HD Monitors that Apple offers. If i didn't owe money on my PB and my Windoze was dying i would definitaly get it.

It's interesting that Apple seems so intent on comparing the iMac G5 to the iPod, definitely in hopes to convert PC users with iPods. It'll be interesting whether or not this marketing technique pays off.

Yeh, the wire placement somewhat puzzles me. I hope that hinge has enough staying power to hold the screen at the correct angle when you have 10 wires and cables tugging back. It would have have looked aesthetically better if it was at the base or in a separate pod like hub, but they couldn't have done that since it would have created a longer pathway for the interconnects to the actual cards and chips and I'm not sure how the cables would have connected to the base through the hinge mechanism without actually going through the center of the pedestal, creating a bulkier stand.

I think Apple's thinking is that consumers have come to a point where they believe that almost any new computer has enough power and besides adding extra ram and external peripherals they aren't going to upgrade much. I mean unless you are a hard core gamer or graphic designer how much power do you need to run excel, word and itunes. Over the next few year I can see Apple trying to shrink this guy even a bit more and creating a mechanism where the panel could be charged on the pedestal and unhinged and used as a tablet. I really am going to miss the old imac, I guess a lot had to do with cost savings...and so many people have pushed Apple to believe it's the pricing of their products have hindered their ability to bring in the market share.

This is the future of computing, minimalism... It's like in the 70's and 80's during the oil crisis where we had to give up our big bad beautiful cars with those sweeping taillights and all that chrome and drive a little chevy chevette. Apple is trying to be the Toyota and Honda of the computer world I guess in this segment. It worked for them, will it work for Apple? I really want to like this new imac, it's just so different...it's going to take some time, then again it took some time with the other one. I'm sure the pundits are going to find something weird to say about this...ooooh, it looks like a futuristic computer out of the jetsons, who's going to buy that. Time will tell.

generally spoken, it's a nice piece of hardware. However, I really hate the big banner beneath the screen. I wonder if it was needed for the 20inch version. Wish it had a slight look like the cinema screens. However, the price is VERY good. If you subtract the price of a 20inch cinema screen, there are just something like $600 for the G5 1.8 mac.. Very good!

Is this a Consumer or Prosumer iMac.....what do you think?

Also will the down-fan blow paperwork if it's near the base?

WinWord10 said:
I'm impressed, although I'm not sure whether I like the enormous-looking amount of space below the screen. From the front it almost looks like an eMac. I'll have to go see it in person.

Yeah thats the first thing that caught my eye...it looks weird indeed in a picture, i'd like to see it in person.

the down-fan is sucking and not blowing, and the fans are spinning at few hundred spins a min which is very low and surely won't move any papers. The fan of my tibook does blow aside and never moved any papers.

With that price it is a consumer iMac for sure. I was really really really amazed by how cheap i could get the cheapest iMac G5. 12.500 swedish crowns. Sure it is still almost ten crowns for every american buck, but included in that are the swedish taxes that are 25%. i think the cheapest iMac g4 was close to 17.000 crowns.

and i like the optical line out and the ability to connect s-vhs and composit.if i didnt have my newly bought powerbook...

Consumer Mac, and the fan flows upward. There is a slit at the back top of the iMac for exhaust. Air is sucked in from the bottom.

Decado said:
With that price it is a consumer iMac for sure. I was really really really amazed by how cheap i could get the cheapest iMac G5.
£300 cheaper than I paid for my (then) top of the range Flat Panel.

Well, I'm not going to buy one, but I like it. My next Mac will be a Power Mac, but who knows when I'll actually get it.

I was setting up my order and I was going to get the wireless keyboard and mouse...Question? It says that the keyboard and mouse includes a bluetooth module for 99 bucks. Was this the same price as the previous? I thought the previous one you also had to add 50 bucks for the module. Seems like a pretty good deal now. I wish the darn thing came with 512 instead of 256 but I guess we've grown accustomed to that.

I love its processor, I like its form factor/screen, I could live with its videocard...

I was just thinking about a new LCD TV, and this thing looks quite perfect to fill the space in my living room. Does anybody know of a good DTV (terrestrial digital television, europe) receiver for the Mac?

I don't think I'll be the first or the last to say that the old iMac G4 looked better. This one looks, well, 'strange' but I guess it takes some time to get used to it.

Back