iMac Superdrive

Col. Sanders

Registered
Just noticed something the other day, and I didn't know if it was posted already or not, but hey.

In the new iMacs (1.25 Ghz), the Superdrive is the Pioneer A106, or something like that. I looked it up and its not only a 4x burner but a multi-format. It burns DVD +/-. Apple does not mention it in their specs.

Hope this was helpful.

forgive me if i sound stupid...whats the difference between dvd-r/dvd+r or dvd-rw/+rw?

never burned a dvd.

Very cool! Makes me wish I'd spent the extra $200 and gotten one when I got my new 1.25Ghz G4...

Last I heard, the 106 wasn't completely compatible with Panther... confirmation?

http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/drivedb/search.drivedb.lasso

This link (same as above) is the best resource I can find, in the little time I have to spend. I was searching for an OEM superdrive, and the 106 was supposed to be the best one to get, but yes, not supported. I did hear that Panther was going to include full support for the 106, because everyone thought that Apple would start using it for its superdrives. That was a month or two ago, and I haven't kept up with it since. I think the most active and updated information would be found at the xlr8yourmac site.

Interesting. Apple also failed to mention that their Superdrives can burn onto DVD-RW discs. They're labelled as 'DVD-R' drives on the web site not DVD-RW drives. Why?

i have a g5 with the A06. I am also running a seeded version of panther, and yes it does recognize DVD+R's as blank DVD's. I have also burned DVD+R's using toast.

I have a hp 300i DVD+RW drive taht I may need to get rid of now since my G5 supports both + and -

Back