The problem is that my camcoder does not
have a Firmware port. Is there any way
to import the movie ffom the camcoder's
tape onto my harddrive? I got some software
of CD for windows for USB streaming.
Can I use USB streaming at all for that purpose
and what softwere I use for macosx?

Thanks a lot.

Okay, so basically your camcorder is NOT a DV camcorder. In other words, it's not digital. The only way you can go about importing your footage into your Mac in this case would be to purchase a DV bridge which would take your analog video and convert into a digital signal your Mac could understand. Here's a link to the one Apple has on their site.

It's not possible to send video to your Mac via USB because the speed of USB is just not fast enough. What you may have seen for the PC would be USB 2.0, I'm not sure. But unless I'm out wrong about something, a DV bridge is really your only option.

Good luck!

(BTW, when you said 'firmware' you meant 'FireWire' ;) )

I've got a Belkin USB VideoBus (320 * something or other) no problem, only thing is the resolution is not great, hey put it onto a TV and its ok, cost me around $30.

I've also got a Formac Studio Box, (720 * 576 and plenty of I/O ports of different kinds) and runs over firewire and its even better, video onto DVD is very good.

well..
http://www.sonystyle.com/home/item.jsp?hierc=9682x9129x9012&catid=&itemid=50333
I supposed it was a digital camcoder. Say please it was not? And could you please
give me more exact link because that kept
saying that the session had expired.

Sorry for the firmware/firewire :)

Thanks.

QUOTE]Originally posted by themacko
Okay, so basically your camcorder is NOT a DV camcorder. In other words, it's not digital. The only way you can go about importing your footage into your Mac in this case would be to purchase a DV bridge which would take your analog video and convert into a digital signal your Mac could understand. Here's a link to the one Apple has on their site.

It's not possible to send video to your Mac via USB because the speed of USB is just not fast enough. What you may have seen for the PC would be USB 2.0, I'm not sure. But unless I'm out wrong about something, a DV bridge is really your only option.

Good luck!

(BTW, when you said 'firmware' you meant 'FireWire' ;) )
[/QUOTE]

If that camcorder in the link is your camcorder, then it is digital and you should definitely be able to connect it to your mac using the included firewire cable.

The port on the camcorder is not the same as the port in the mac, but it should come with a cable that works (my sony did)

As far as I know Belkin's Videobus for Mac has not yet any OS X driver, isn't it so? If there is one I certainly would like to know (and to get it of course :)

I've been using Dazzle's holliwood DV bridge (going from iMovie to the camcorded and then out to VHS was a pain).

it works perfectly and requires no drivers!

I refuse to buy from formac screwed me on the ProTV card. The DV bridge has performed well for me and the vertical form factor fits better in my cluttered desk!

But he Hollywood DV bridge does not have the resolution or the capabilities of the Studio box (alsi didn't need any drivers) I just use iMovie, its treated like its a DV camera, much like all of these kinds of devices.

I also didn't but he DVbridge on the behest of the supplier they thought it was tiny (as opposed to woody) and was quite poor in performance issues.

If I want better performance after this and I have to work with the resultants footage I'll go and buy a Kona.

What did Formac do to you with your ProTV card? They do promis a lot and son't fully deliver, just as well I don't use the TV portion of the Stdio box under OSX, Tevion has never worked, not once!

Thanks a lot everybody. I got confused because
Sony calls that cable iLink and never referes
that we call it FireWire. :)
And the problem was I did not know that there
was 4pin-6pin firewire cable that's why I got scared that iLink might has been totally different then FireWire. (btw it the cable
had not came togather with the camera and
I have to get it separately.)

I appreciate you help and you absolutely correct.

Best regards,
leleka

Originally posted by Javintosh
I've been using Dazzle's holliwood DV bridge (going from iMovie to the camcorded and then out to VHS was a pain).

it works perfectly and requires no drivers!

I refuse to buy from formac screwed me on the ProTV card. The DV bridge has performed well for me and the vertical form factor fits better in my cluttered desk!

I bought a protv card from formac shortly before upgrading to OSX.

I asked repeatedly about an outlook for OSX drivers. They never answered a single email. They also appear to have quietly discontinued the product.

I though this was very weasly of them, especially since they were selling the product until very recently.

Formac have never answered one of my emails either, which I think is a load of "Es Heitch Won T". That kind of things need to be made public.

I asked about the Tevion driver for the STudio box on many occasions, silence.... even though they make a big thing of having a feedback button.

Back