Installation problems on a G3 Tower

Carsten Dyhr

Registered
I have some problems with my beige G3 300 and Jaguar!
When I try to start on the CD I keep getting this error:
The installer has quit due to an unexpected error. (exit code 132)
Please restart your computer!
Anyone who know what this message means? This is driving me crazy.
When I press enter it shows me some text with this text “synching disk error, killing all processes”
I do not use the original 8GB disk I use a 30 GB IBM disk.
If you have any clue at all, please give me a helping hand!
:confused:

On older Macs, the boot disk can have a maximum size of 8Gb. if you are installing on a bigger drive you need to partition it, ensuring the boot partition is within the first 8Gb of the drive (at the top of the box in the partition part of Drive Setup. I had the same problem installing on a 20Gb drive in my PowerBook. Also when formatting, I had to use the OS 9 Drive Setup program as the OS X one seemed to partition it not within the stat 8Gb of the drive, whichever way round I tried.

Not sure I got the error you're getting, but its worth a try!

Thanks for your answer!
I've already partioned my drive since i've been running 10.1 for quiet a while now.
As a matter a fact i starting to belive that this is a matter of an defect CD-rom! I've tried to start the installation from my Powerbook and it seems to be the same problem there. :rolleyes:
Som maybe it that simple! I'll try to get hold of a new CD.
Thanks anyway!

Look on the data size of the CD itself -- there was a problem with some Jaguar CDs being defective (mine were) and you could visibly tell by looking at the "written" portion on the underside of the disk. My disks' "written portion" of the disk wasn't round -- there were anomalies and looked like the written portion of the disk was "warped." Sent them back, got new ones, no problems since then!

I knew someone who had the same error. His ROM was defective. Seems like that's the culprit.

Back