Internet sharing with WIN 2000 pro

TeeboAccrete

Registered
A WIN 2000 pro PC is sharing his Internet connection on a simple hub to which my Mac is hooked up. I can browse the web perfectly, use web sharing....
But FTP does not work, especially transfering to a WIN 2000 server. I have to use the PC to FTP and it works fine.
When I use the terminal, on my mac, I'm able to connect to teh server, browse through it but uploading files does not work.
Has anyone had this problem before?

Thank you for any remarks. :D

Well I have seen issues with Win2k machines having problems with ftp with Solaris/AIX boxes going over a WAN. The xfers would either fail, or even worse "succeed" but then come to find out that the contents were crap (not completely crap of course, but all it takes it 1 bit to be off and your data is hosed). IT finally had to institute a rule that any file xfers from across locations HAD to be on matching systems (i.e. Win to Win, or Unix to Unix). Win clients to Unix servers seemed to work fine, but they wanted to keep the rule simple.

I've also personally seen issues trying to transfer files from a friends Win2k machine he had set up to act as a quake server. Again with ftp and his server was serving over a cable modem. He finally ended up using a Linux machine instead.

Unfortuneatly in all these cases the solution was simply 'dont do that'. Never did figure out what the problem was, but I'm pretty sure it's on the Windoze side (and no, I'm not saying that just to bash Bill and co). Have you tried looking at the M$ support site about this?

He said that he was especially having problems with Win2k servers and that his other machine, which was a win2kpro machine, was working fine. I took that to mean that the problem he is having concerns connecting to win2kserver or advanced server, not pro. Besides, Pro does come with a ftp server, you have to install it with iis, it does not install by default. Not that it's that great of an ftp server, but it does work.

Back