iPod instigating switchers…

Pippin said:
http://hardware.silicon.com/desktops/0,39024645,39126090,00.htm

I would not class this as "unexpected" as I believe this was possibly the second reason why the iPod was ported to the windows chaps.

Certainly interesting though.
Worked on me. :)

I went to the dark world of PCs back when Apple was floundering. Then, a couple of years ago I was looking for something that I could play audiobooks on without having to stuff around with multiple discs.

Heard of this thing called an iPod (2nd generation) which had just been announced with audiobook playing capability. Thought to myself, "THAT would be perfect. Could carry around all my audiobooks at once!" Then while checking prices, specs, etc. on the Apple online store I glanced at the Powerbooks and got mesmerised (which is just as well, because back then iPods were Mac only). :cool:

Kap

Among the factors influencing the ex-PC crowd were ease-of-use, the focus on entertainment and the perception of better security.
I kind of laughed at the "perception of better security" line. It IS better security. :rolleyes:

Sweet mother did anyone read any of the comments on that article,thankfully I don't know any Wintel users that ignorant! Hey if it gets people to look at Apple I find that to be a good thing :D.But since iTunes is also available on a PC I won't be looking for a stampede to the Apple Store in the near future.

I blame Apple's excellent OS and notebooks for my triumphant return to Apple. I was looking at cheap laptops and the PC's were all so crappy and were so heavy and had no battery life. I ended up getting an iBook and fell back in love with macs.

I guess the mac user in me never really left.

Ceroc Addict said:
Worked on me. :)

Kap

Same here, I downloaded iTunes and started importing my music into my PC and i was like woo! i love iTunes, and then 2 and half months later i had my PowerBook :eek: and after a year of having my powerbook (march) i shall have an iPod to match it :D cannot wait!!!

I've been a PC user my whole life but switched to mac a month ago. while the iPod didn't drive me to change, it definitely helped. While I'd suffered from Mac envy ever since I borrowed my roommates powerbook for one night two years ago, I didn't make the jump until now and the iPod was a large part of it. I started visiting apple.com to check out the product and started looking at the notebooks. Then I started reading up about iPods (reviews, accessories, etc...) a lot of which were on Mac oriented sites, so I started wandering around and learning more about the OS and the advantages of switching. That and the glowing reviews from my friends who owned apple computers and I was sold.

And now I'm typing this from my 12" PowerBook and I couldn't be happier.

The iPod 2G had a seperate model for Windows that used firewire. When hell froze over and iTunes came out for Windows; the iPod 3G could be used on Mac and Windows together.

ApeintheShell said:
The iPod 2G had a seperate model for Windows that used firewire. When hell froze over and iTunes came out for Windows; the iPod 3G could be used on Mac and Windows together.
That's right, I'd forgotten.

The difference was that at the time only the Mac version could play audiobooks (which is the whole reason I wanted an iPod in the first place). :)

Kap

What about people that bought iPods because they own a Mac? Chances are I never would have gotten one if it wasn't for ol' MacDaddy (name of my system at the time) at home...

ApeintheShell said:
...When hell froze over and iTunes came out for Windows;....

:D Ha ha, I'd almost forgotten Apple's ad campaign for the Windows release of iPod: "Hell Has Frozen Over."

ApeintheShell said:
...When hell froze over and iTunes came out for Windows;....

:D Ha ha, I'd almost forgotten Apple's ad campaign for the Windows release of iPod: "Hell Has Frozen Over."

Actually, I would like to see if Airport Express can achieve some similar results. Since it works with both PC and Mac and there really is nothing else on the market quite like an Airport Express -- though I've seen a few poorly executed attempts to cash in on Airport Express' features, including one that proclaimed itself as "smaller and lighter" than AE but failed to mention on the packaging that the included black-brick power adapter weighs three times as much as the actual unit.
I sincerely hope that Apple can promote AE to PC users as effectively as they have done with iPod and iTunes.

Back