iSight and Yahoo?

Jason

Eyebrow Moderator
does the iSight work as a webcam for Yahoo Messenger and other chat programs?

I dont care if it has audio or not, but can it be used as a normal webcam?

Jason

I can definitely help with that problem. PM me and I'll give you my home address and you can unload that nasty money on me. Be glad to take care of it for you :)

God, you are crazy Jason. It would take me few months of saving and crying to afford either an isight OR an ipod. And you just pick the ipod as a "souvenir"? tc tc tc..

Guys, let say i have an external USB MIC, can i use it together with Yahoo Messenger so that i can Video+Voice at the same time ??

yapcw said:
Guys, let say i have an external USB MIC, can i use it together with Yahoo Messenger so that i can Video+Voice at the same time ??

Nope. The problem is Yahoo Messenger for the Mac has no audio support at all, not for any device on OS X. Complain to Yahoo and tell them to add audio support for OS X users!

Brian

The Yahoo audio problem is due to their use of the TruSpeech codec. Right now it's only a Win compatible service, or at least officially.

There is a Linux program that has some voice abilities on Yahoos servers, called Gyach Enhanced. I have been able to compile and use it on a Mandrake 9.2 system but there are some issues. I can hear eveyone fine, but when I talk it's garbled.

I installed Gyach (original) on my Mac and had it running under OS X 10.1.5, but the last version of the original never was updated with the YMSG11 login protocol...so it won't log in.

From what I can tell, the 'Gyach Enhanced' is still an ungly hack. It uses Python and GTK, but whoever programmed it was doing so for their system. If you read their docs with it, you'll see this. Especially the part about requiring the ESD Sound Daemon. I tried many times to compile it for X before noticing a big problem, they use WINE to work with Windows versions of the audio codec. So in other words there's not much use unless you have an X86 machine.

I have tried this, with my iSight...and it keeps quitting. After about 5-10 minutes, the picture will freeze and quit...any ideas?

Back