iTunes .WAV Collection To iPod In .MP3 With Tags

ChromePlanet

Registered
I have a La Cie external 500GB FireWire-800 drive on which I store all my ripped CDs in .WAV format. Uncompressed, uncompromised, unaffected by codecs that come and go.

You can't store tags in a .WAV file but iTunes keeps track of all the song information in its own XML database.

My 30GB iPod obviously won't hold 500GB of .WAV files, but I would like all my music on it in .MP3 format (sound quality is less important when on the road than it is at home).

I would like iTunes to automatically update my iPod by converting the .WAV files to .MP3 files when it updates the iPod, placing the appropriate tags in the .MP3 files as well.

I realize the program doesn't do this now, but perhaps someone knows of an Applescript or other software that could make it happen? Much appreciated.

Also, what do I do when I fill up the 500GB drive? Is there a way to store iTunes music in more than 1 location without having to switch between them?

Yes, you can have iTunes music in any number of different places -- I do this, but I also have the options in iTunes for "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library" both unchecked.

I don't know about the auto-convert to MP3, though... perhaps someone here can write you an AppleScript to do that!

well its easy enough to convert all the music to mp3, and itunes will make the id3 tags for you as far as i know

and... i tunes should put all those converted mp3's into your itunes music folder (set it up where you have room! and make sure to not check keep all music in itunes music folder)

the most difficult part is organizing within itunes, what is mp3 and whats not, and then manually putting it all on the ipod (i assume with a playlist dedicated to the mp3s it would be the easiest)

Back