Jaguar Observations...

Holmes

Humble God
Thought I'd just start a thread where people can post their Jaguar observations that aren't on apples site or anything. I'll just put up a few to start.

1. Selecting files on the desktop is much smoother. The little transperant box clings to the mouse much better than it did before.

2. Quicktime movies in games run smoother.

3. Scrolling in internet explorer is MUCH smoother.

4. iDisk navigation is several times faster.

5. They replaced the beach ball with something more aqua, and really pretty. I almost wish my computer would hang more to see it...Wait, no I don't.

6. I've had a weird bug about 2 times where the contents of a window would fail to redraw, leaving the window with a weird blurry goup thing inside. Minimizing the window and maximizing it again seems to fix this.

I guess I assumed that a lot of people in here had access to Jaguar. Well for those of you who don't, is there something you want a screenshot of or want to know about?

Here's an observation. Apple-I takes you to the new information window, but Apple-P takes you to the old one. I found this out on accident.:D

Originally posted by wdw_
Here's an observation. Apple-I takes you to the new information window, but Apple-P takes you to the old one. I found this out on accident.:D

Cool. Can I ask you what kind of speed boost you get on your iMac? Quartz stuff on my powerbook isn't really faster except for transperancy and scrolling in a few applications.

Hey guys I just found a super cool never before discussed (I think) feature of Jaguar!

Under the services menu there is now a "summarize" service. Select some text from any cocoa app and go into summarize. It launches a little application called "Summary Service" you then have a bar to select the length of the summary and summary service will generate a summary of the text! Its very weird I'm posting a screenshot.

Here you see a 20 page essay I wrote very condensed.

http://homepage.mac.com/holmesf/summary.gif

I have no idea how this program decided to select those paragraphs.

Just to clear something up that bothers me.

It's NOT a beach ball. It's a Hard Disk Platter. It's from the NeXT days when the HD icons were rainbow circular disk platters.

Anyway, I had a bunch of questions about Jaguar. But I forgot them. I'll remember them and post them later.

Oh, and Summarize is here in 10.1.4.

5. They replaced the beach ball with something more aqua, and really pretty. I almost wish my computer would hang more to see it...Wait, no I don't.

The beach ball ...that actually as someone pointed out is an HD spinning. ... in X.2 is a total RIP OFF from an icon Pixeljerk released in november 2001 ..you can see the icon here:

http://xicons.macnn.com/search.php?form_type=search&keywords=button&author=

is the one on the bottom left ... the blue one.... so for once.. apple iped off someone else idea, because i seriously doubt the actually payed rights for such sall thing....

I DO NOT WANNASTART a flame.. is just my opinion so PLEASE don't fire ...lol

Stranger things have happened :D

I may be able to provide Jaguar shots for anyone who requests something, but I will be wiping my iBook soon and just sticking with 10.1.5.

Originally posted by Jasoco
Just to clear something up that bothers me.
It's NOT a beach ball. It's a Hard Disk Platter.
That old black and white spinning thing, was a beach ball, right? I think I read that once, in a book by Apple. But I'm not quite sure, it was a long time ago.

Kris

Even if the blabk and white one was...and i am not sure... we were talking about the multicolored one you ll find in OSX... that is exactly the icon used to identify the HD in NeXT, they decided to use that instead of the black and white (even if sometime you still see it) because of the relationship between NeXT STEP and OS X.

:)

Do you ever get the OS9 style beachball and rainbow disc thingy like I do in IE? I always found that to be strange. Anyone else get that?

On Jaguar:
  • I could care less about iChat for I use YM, and will do YHOO 4ever as opposed to that pc co. AOHell-TW
  • On Sherlock 3 should have been renamed Sherlock 2 plus Watson Stolen. First time Apple ever steals a source (in this case, Watson's) and doesn't give them credit but to award them some measely certifictae for best concept program.

Um, I think they gave the Watson folks a nice-ass computer (something like an Ultimate G4 tower) for winning that award too... granted, that's kind of a small thing, and I hope the Watson people at least get bought or hired by Apple or something.

But that's not why I wanted to post here. The reason I wanted to post here was: Why do you people all have OS 10.2 already?!? I thought it wasn't supposed to be out for five months! Arrrgh! I hate you! I'll kill every last one of you!

:eek:

I mean, um, I am... eagerly looking forward to Jaguar, and I... am... um... pleased that you report that it seems to be developing so well.

:D

-the valrus

Originally posted by dlookus
Do you ever get the OS9 style beachball and rainbow disc thingy like I do in IE? I always found that to be strange. Anyone else get that?
Yeah. BBedit does the same thing.

My guess is that it must have something to do with the way these applications are carbonized... Either they have some hard-coded references to the OS 9 style cursors or Apple left something in the Carbon API's undone.

Wow, I had no idea summarize was in 10.1.4. Guess I never saw it.

I have a question for any other Jaguar users. Is ink actually implimented in this release? Doing a search for ink comes finds nothing that has to do with the system.

Originally posted by Holmes
Wow, I had no idea summarize was in 10.1.4. Guess I never saw it.

I have a question for any other Jaguar users. Is ink actually implimented in this release? Doing a search for ink comes finds nothing that has to do with the system.

I don't think that it's in there yet.

WOW!

Did I saw, WOW? WOW! 10.2 is awesome!

Okay folks, Apple is really making some progress. The speed is awesome, and yes, IE in 10.2 is MUCH faster, but Mozilla 1.0 R3 IS INSTANT... wow, and I just have a Rage 128 card folks... :)

ENHANCEMENTS I SEE:

When you minimize a Window to the dock, it now has the application icon the window belongs to in the lower right hand corner. This is an awesome addition in my opinion. I it will help me sort through all my windows from all my applications.

When double-clicking on the HD icons on the desktop, the Window "Scale" opens.

Overall, VERY SMOOTH.

Back