Just when I thought my nation had some credibility!

uoba

Re: member
A recent BBC study has revealed that the UK may well be the most atheistic nation in the world, however, 30% of those self-proclaimed 'non-theists' (10,000 people quized) claimed to have prayed on occasion!

Doh! :confused:

It's odds. If a punter gives odds of a million-to-one that there is no God and you bet a pound, you only lose a pound. But if you make the bet and there is, you're rich.
So while you may not believe in a religious way, it doesn't hurt to cover your @$$ and pray... just in case you're wrong. :)

Because some believe that to live a pious life is a lot more restricting than to not accept a God. Your proposition is similar to Pascal's Wager.

He proposed such a wager (albeit without the money part!) in order to prove the existence of God (but, like all philosophical theories for the existence of God, has it's flaws!)

it's odds. If a punter gives odds of a million-to-one that there is no God and you bet a pound, you only lose a pound. But if you make the bet and there is, you're rich.
So while you may not believe in a religious way, it doesn't hurt to cover your @$$ and pray... just in case you're wrong
I think god would see through that trick ... :D Anyway, I always thought the Dutch to be officially the most atheist nation, with 40% atheists according to the CIA factbook ...

What's 40% of the Dutch population amount to (compared to 30% of GB (minus 30% of those 'praying atheists' DOH!!!)) :p

uoba said:
A recent BBC study has revealed that the UK may well be the most atheistic nation in the world, however, 30% of those self-proclaimed 'non-theists' (10,000 people quized) claimed to have prayed on occasion!

Pound to a penny a high percentage of them don't know the difference between 'atheist' and 'agnostic'.

And praying doesn't necessarily have to involve a god (as theism or atheism, of course, does), just a 'supreme being', so there's room to split hairs.

uoba said:
What's 40% of the Dutch population amount to (compared to 30% of GB (minus 30% of those 'praying atheists' DOH!!!)) :p
Just 6.8 million persons. Merely a handful :confused:
Being dutch reformed myself I think there are way too many unbelievers.

I'm not too confident that those 30% titled themselves as atheist anyway (more than likely the BBC branded them so because they didn't believe/see the need for a God).

I think Lyra got it right.

Atheism is a belief system in its own right. The fact is, most people in the UK just couldn't care less either way.

Apathy and indifference rule! Long live .. oh I can't be bothered...

Which was why I found it funny that we where all branded Atheists! (Hence the title of the thread ;) ) I didn't honestly think the whole nation had whipped out their copy of Being & Nothingness. :rolleyes:

Why bother indeed, when there's shopping and iPods! Yehaaa!!

Agnosticism seems a little like fence-sitting to me, but that isn't a bad thing. It surely demonstrates that at least you're thinking about it...

Or rather, decided not to bother thinking about it anymore... back to apathy and reality tv again!

What about agnostic atheists? Don't believe in God, but don't know either way? I for one have seen no (well, very little...) evidence to point to the existence of a supreme being at all.

Now, I'm anything but apathetic or indifferent.

Although I'm most definitely _not_ a religious person, I am a spiritual person.

A lot of religious people I know find that odd and some even take offense that I can say that to them. They being of the belief that the religious are somehow the sole custodians of spirituality and morality.

My own belief is quite simple; I do not ascribe to any religion. For me, they hold no 'truths' of 'answers'. Though I do believe that there is some pattern to our existence that the various religions of our world have alluded to at times, but have in all likelihood forgotten the meaning or the significance of over the centuries. And instead we're left with vestigial allegories and tales of moral rights & wrongs.

Rather than fate, I see way-points where people will ultimately have to make a decision that will have great baring on not only their own lives, but on the life of others.

Does the soul live on? Probably, but I'm in no rush to find out!.. :D

Arden said:
What about agnostic atheists?...

You might want to Google those two words and appraise yourself of their meaning.

We'll await your apologetic contraction.. :) :D

Hey, UK contains ALL religions. So, those who don't believe in God, would have to include at least atheists, non-believers of any kind, buddhists, taoists etc. And if they REALLY want to break the b.. even the muslims. They DO have the same god but jsut call it different.

A buddhist, taoists, etc, no matter how "believers" they are (how far they follow their path) just don't have a / the god.

I find the whole article (I saw something in BBC website about it) written by a christian who felt worried thtat there are so many otehr ways of living than his/hers.

Peace,

g.

Back