• 1 or less

• 7-10

• 10 or more

Results are only viewable after voting.

Giaguara

Chmod 760
Staff member
Mod
How many languages do we speak in here? ;)

I think I can't put the languages in the list because that'd be too long a list .. so what or how many languages do you speak*?

And how many languages did you learn in school that you never use (and can't speak them) - e.g. the ancient Greek or Latin?

* I think if you can read a book, follow a lesson or a movie in that language, write something and make the people understand you in the same language, then you speak it. :)

Hmm... I clicked 3, but I guess it's more. :)

German
English
French
Italian (1/2)
Latin (1/2)

Is that 4? ;)

Native English speaker

Deutsch war meine Hauptfach an der Universität.

Je parle un petit peu de francais.

And, because I have spent most of my life on the west coast of the US I wll always be able to make myself understood in a spanish restaurant!

I marked 3 but it should really only be 2.5

English
a little German (at least enough to count and cuss :D)
and i know how to write and understand one symbol in Japanese
and i know a little Spanish

한극 잘하다(I speak Korean) but not well enough understand more than a few words in the average sentence.

But, I also speak French but haven't really used it for about 6 years.

Along with English.

And a few words in Spanish. Buenos dias siniorita :p (spelling doesn't count)

French and English

Low-level Arabic
Low-level German

Some Latin

I also speak HTML, TI-Basic, a bit of Java and ANSI, as well as some PHP and other C derivatives.
Do programming languages count ? ;)

In chronological order:

German
Italian
Dutch
English
Latin & Greek
LoFOL (Fitch) ;)
Prolog
Java
Haskell

I think I can make myself be understiid in French and Spanish as well... I knew some songs in Spanish: e.g. El pueblo unido jamas sera vencido!
:D

Heh. Cat, you are hard to beat :D Italian, Spanish, English, .. HTML, Objective-C, Cocoa, Spanglish, Portuñol, Sicilian, Palermitan, Brazilian, Argentinian, some Neapolitan ... really bad Finnish and at least (mh, mainly just) some bad words in French, Greek, Turkish, Arabic, Japanese, Swedish, php ...

English, French (been awhile), working on Swedish (helps when searching for parts for my car on the net).

What is the story behind Finnish? Anyone who speeks Finnish and is not a Finn has a story ;)

-Eric

Do dialects count? :D
I speak 6 Norwegian dialects, write both of the two Norwegian written languages (nynorsk, bokmål). Talk a couple of English dialects and German :)

lurk, I tried to survive there for some time. Not an ideal place for tropical animals...

hehehe... I love this thread :D
Actually latin can be spoken...in the vatican ;) -- but I dont know latin anyway(yet :p)

This is my list:
Greek
English (duh! :p)
French
Italian
German
Russian
Vietnamese
Spanish (ULTRA rusty)

Of course my russian, vietnamese and spanish need practicing, more learning and polishing up but hey ;)

Oh, and speaking of Finnish, due to my Finnish Grandparents I can count to seven, understand what paja poika means! read very basic Finnish and not do too badly in a Finnish restaurant. Hmmm, I've never seen any outside of Finland?

ksv, do you really count Bokmål and Nynorsk as 2 languages? Then I speak more than the 3 I clicked, I guess...

I speak English, Bokmål, Nynorsk, Swedish (OK, but not too well) and a few dialects...can also read Danish, but can't understand the spoken language they have...

Originally posted by Giaguara
Heh. Cat, you are hard to beat :D Italian, Spanish, English, .. HTML, Objective-C, Cocoa, Spanglish, Portuñol, Sicilian, Palermitan, Brazilian, Argentinian, some Neapolitan ... really bad Finnish and at least (mh, mainly just) some bad words in French, Greek, Turkish, Arabic, Japanese, Swedish, php ...

Tell us some bad words in PHP....

<?php
$req = $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'];
// Remove rubbish and stf.
$newReq = ereg_replace ('index.php[^?]*', 'index.php', $req);
if (strlen($newReq) < strlen($req)) {
header ('Location: '.$newReq);
header ('HTTP/1.0 301 Moved Permanently');
die; // Don't send any more output.
}
unset($req); unset($newReq);
... ...