Line-out Port Not Appearing In My Powermac G5 Sound Pref Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

spectro28

Registered
Thanks in advance for suggestions --

I've a PowerMac G5 dual 2.5 GHz running Tiger 10.4.2. My preference panel for sound does not show an option to select line-out for output, while System Profiler shows the line-level output as available in the Audio (Built In) section.

The Sound Preference panel for output shows options for Interenal Speakers and Digital Out only. For input it shows my iSight (FireWire), Line In, and Digital In.

I've rebooted resetting PRAM a few times, to no avail.

This problem arose some time ago, perhaps when installing Tiger. I know the line output used to work, then it disappeared.

Cheers,
Marc

I have two ideas for you:

1) The line output connector likely disables the internal speaker when you hook it up, and maybe the software is aware of this, and re-names 'Internal' to 'Line Out' only if something is connected. So try that - connect something in, and see if it becomes an option in the System Preferences.

2) The other possibility is that the Line Output has been somehow disabled in the Audio Midi Setup. This is an application located in /Applications/Utilities. Plug in something to the line out, and launch this application. Undere the "Audio Devices" tab, set the "Default Output" and "System Output" to "Built-in Audio". Next, select "Built-in Audio" as the devices to view "Properties For".

On the right-hand side, under "Audio Output", see what you can select under "Source".

kilowatt said:
I have two ideas for you:

1) The line output connector likely disables the internal speaker when you hook it up, and maybe the software is aware of this, and re-names 'Internal' to 'Line Out' only if something is connected. So try that - connect something in, and see if it becomes an option in the System Preferences.

Thanks to kilowatt -- my speakers were indeed plugged into the mic jack, so the OS didn't see speakers, and didn't offer to output signal to them. I plugged them into the line-out jack, and now all is well.

Cheers,
Spec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back