Looking for a network Time Sheet Application

rinse

www.visualrinse.com
Im looking for OSX Server application for tracking time and billing information.

Prefereably the app would have a flexible report building architecture that would allow me to tailor how the data it gathers is spewed out.

Also, it would be great if it had a web based front end...

anyone familiar with any such apps out there?

as a last resort, a PHP/MySQL based app would suffice, but i'd really like a commercial app.

Why not go for FileMaker Pro 5.5? Use that on your OSX machine and build a web interface for the clients.

I've made quite a few solutions like this and it works quite well.

It's quite easy to learn CDML to create the web interface. Or use FileMaker's can build an interface for you based on the database you create (it used to be crap, but is better in the latest incarnation).

You can then make all the custom reports you want using FileMaker Pro on the OSX machine and leave the data entry for the web interface on the clients.

Note that if you're going to have more than 10 users accessing it, you'll need Filemaker Pro Unlimted.

Yeah, I have been looking into it. It seems like a lot to learn, so I was looking for a good premade package <500.

I know I could contract a Filemaker solutions provider. But they want a lot of $.

On a scale of 1-10, how hard would you rate the learning curve of Filemaker to do stuff like that?

Any ideas on how long something like that would take to create?

Have you looked on Versiontracker? I'm sure there have been some OSX apps occassionally passing through, doing exactly as you need.

Filemaker, I dunno, you might as well learn php and mysql and design yourself an intranet system!:confused: :eek: At least you'll have good use to use the php/mysql knowledge for work then!

I considered getting into Filemaker, but in the end the only need would be for internal matters, hardly ever for clients.

Yeh, all valid points.

If you know something about php/mysql already, it's probably best to go with that. However if you're not famiiar with either, from experience, I've found FileMaker much faster to develop in.

But then again Filemaker will cost you a few $'s, where as php/mysql cost nothing.

In terms of FileMaker, the easy part is building the database, the hard part is creating the web interface (but then again this all really depends on your experience with HTML and other markup languages).

As I said earlier, FileMaker can generate it's own web interface for any database you build. It may be worth investigating.

But in the end it all comes down to how much time/money you want to invest. I don't know of any commercial apps that do what your asking, but I'm sure there'd be something out there!!

Cheers

Have you looked at CaptureWorks? previously Intellitrack and JobTracker. Not too cheap but superb for lazy designers etc. Back end database (Filemaker based) is not brilliant, but usable and can probably be customised (we built our own in MySQL).

check them out at CaptureWorks.com

Thanks for the suggestions. I think will look on sourceforge for a PHP/MySQl solution... Filemaker is just too proprietary and limiting.

Back