.Mac, Homepage, and Java update problem?

lbj

Registered
Hey, I just stumbled across a problem and was wondering if anyone else has noticed it.

I'm running 10.3.2 on both an iMac and an iBook. I have updated to Java 1.4.2 on the iMac BUT NOT the iBook.

Anyway, today I tried uploading some new pics from iPhoto to my .Mac account and try as I might, I could not view the new thumbnails on the webpage. I just see the little blue question mark. The new folder appeared, all the text showed up, but no thumbnails. When I looked inside my iDisk, everything was as it should be.

Here's where it gets even more weird. If i click on one of the blue question marks, the right picture pops up in "slide show", which I believe is a Java app.

When I went to my iBook, still running Java 1.4.1, everything worked fine, including the thumbnails.

Anyone else?

Attachments

• Picture 1.pdf
    33.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 10
I don't think Apple's slideshow feature of .Mac is Java... JavaScript maybe, but those are two different beasts -- similar names, but unrelated and run off of two different engines.

It sounds like it may be a cache issue or something. Is it still doing it? It may be that Safari (or whatever browser you're using) is having trouble loading the thumbnails for some reason. Can you try holding down shift and clicking the reload button? That makes Safari load the page from the server rather than using cache information.

I had similar trouble recently with a movie I had on a page. I wonder if it had something to do with the iLife update with the new sharing features. Anyway, I reloaded the movie in iMovie4 and hit the .Mac share option, which had a new template which was nice.
My photos are all fine, but if you have iLife '04, you may want to see if that had anything to do with it.

Hmmmm, yesterday I would have said reloading from the server made no difference. No matter what I did, the thumbnails would not show up. But tried again right now, and all is well. Thanks guys. Maybe a temporary glitch on Apple's side?

And no, I'm not using iLife '04, yet.

The only difference between the two machines was the Java update, and maybe a span of 2-3 hours. Maybe something somewhere was being updated.

Anyway, thanks!

I've had similar problems with photo pages on .Mac homepages... the shift-reload always worked for me.

I'm still thinking it's a problem with Safari loading data from the cache, but who knows?

iLife '04 shouldn't make a bit of difference concerning the viewing of the pages, since the pages are just raw HTML and JavaScript. That's why they can be viewed from any platform with any browser (well, any recent browser).

Apple's site was seriously slow yesterday. They have been doing some system maintenance recently-- there was a notice up on the forums that no new posts could be added on Saturday I think it was, and Sunday everything was just molasses.

I think the slowdown has to do with the new features in iLife's iMovie annd iPhoto update to allow direct sharing with the site. It's a nice feature but I also noticed a little slowdown, though things do seem to be back to normal.

Back