Mac OS X Leopard 10.5

SGilbert

Registered
Need Retail version of above in like new condition for son's new iPhone 4 on PPC Power Mac G5. Need ASAP. eBlows & Amazon want ridiculous prices! Give me your best shot please. (He's got 10.4.11 now)

Because it's the _one_ option for PPC Macs to still support newer iOS devices and iPods, I think it's hilarious that Apple doesn't sell it anymore. I'm glad they dropped PPC support from SL, though, for reasons of a general "moving forward".

_Because_ it's still an OS that has use (exactly for all those who want to use newer iOS and iPod devices with PPC Macs), the prices on such platforms like eBay are that high. You also have to keep in mind that its original selling price was as high.

Apparently, if you call Apple, you can still purchase Leopard from them. At least a year ago this was true. Rumor has it that it's still $129, which can be cheaper than aftermarket sources.

You may have to escalate past level 1 tech/sales support to get someone who knows about this.

Unfortunately, I did not call Apple sales, but did call the local Apple store. The kind girl I spoke to assured me that Apple does not sell Leopard anymore. This was also confirmed by a local private authorized service provider.

Had I known I had to 'press' onward & upward', I might have scored @ $129 with Apple. Ah well, I did get a Family Pack for a half way decent price. (Of my immediate family, I've got 3 PPC Macs & 3 Intel Macs--3 of the 5 packs will get used.))

Back