Mac OSX 10.3.9 is out

for all who have already installed the 10.3.9 update:

i just restarted after installing the update, and i try to open Safari, and i get an unexpectedly quit dialog. keep trying to open and keep getting the same error. i opened disk utility and ran repair disk permissions, and surprisingly enough, there are a few hundred files it had to fix (after a direct restart from an os update?!! that doesn't make ANY sense). anyway, i restarted after disk permissions finished, but safari still isnt opening...hopefully this is the only problem or else i will get kind of mad. is this happening for anyone else? any other suggestions maybe? has apple acknowledged this?

thanks in advance!

ya that was the issue. i told my friend and he came back with a spymac post that explained that. thanks though (and now i see theres a new thread about that here).

now that i have safari back, im not sure i really want it...unless apple's made safari much faster in tiger. ive been using camino and firefox all day, and while im impressed with firefox's responsiveness, im more impressed with camino's speed. the thing is a speed demon and works very nicely. of course the gui isnt as lickable as safari (nor will it have cool plugins like saft - pdfbrowser works on firefox, camino too?), and i doubt it will ever be, but i think ill be using it until my copy of tiger comes on the 29th :) cant wait!!!!!!! 13 more days!

Not a big deal, but after the install, Safari reset all my passwords for web sites. Lucky that KeyChain had them all, because my memory does not.

spitty27 said:
ya that was the issue. i told my friend and he came back with a spymac post that explained that. thanks though (and now i see theres a new thread about that here).

now that i have safari back, im not sure i really want it...unless apple's made safari much faster in tiger. ive been using camino and firefox all day, and while im impressed with firefox's responsiveness, im more impressed with camino's speed. the thing is a speed demon and works very nicely. of course the gui isnt as lickable as safari (nor will it have cool plugins like saft - pdfbrowser works on firefox, camino too?), and i doubt it will ever be, but i think ill be using it until my copy of tiger comes on the 29th :) cant wait!!!!!!! 13 more days!

I just questioned myslelf the same, as you asked the question. Tested it, and yes, Camino uses the PDF Browser Plugin without any problems. A reason more for me to stay with Camino. The G$ optimized builds are REAL speed demons, and with the "Camino Extra Prefs" Extension, you get similar functions like you get in Saft (ad-blocking/removing etc)

If you like the style and GUI of Safari better, why don't you install a Safari theme for Camino? I think I can look the link up for you if you're interested. Should have it somewhere in my bookmarks.

GUI is more than a theme. Else Windows would feel like a Mac with an "Aqua theme", which it definitely doesn't.

No, but we should maybe _say_ what it says. ;) It's about Java issues with 10.3.9 and how to solve them. (Basically: Re-install a Java Update and re-install Security Update 2005-002.)

Back