Mail vs Entourage?

DCD

Registered
I have just installed MS Office 10. Had a look at Entourage and can't seem to decide whether to use this or keep using Mail?

Just wanted to know how many people prefer Entourage and why :)

I ended up staying with Entourage instead of changing to Mail. Although Mail looks pretty cool, I couldn't find a way to delete mail without it downloading to my machine first. (I do use IMAP settings.) This is a very simple thing in Entourage.

I've always stuck to Outlook Express in Mac OS 8 through to 9 - never did mind for shopping around much in that area - and transferred across to Entourage when I upgraded to Office v.X at the start of the year. I wasn't going to upgrade to OSX, but when I saw Entourage working, it was then that I decided to go the full hog and upgrade everything else. (Wasn't happy IN THE SLIGHTEST having to fork out another NZ$300 to upgrade to 10.2 - bad decision Apple!)

Entourage allows you to do in one app what you would have to do in 3 other separate apps. I use Entourage to manage my roster, manage my Tasks (To Do list), manage my contact/address book and browse newsgroups - not to mention my emails.

There was no hard copy documentation when I upgraded to Office v.X, so I'm only really now starting to play around with things like Rules. The online help is actually very good, but doesn't show what really can be done.

It's a nicely integrated app - well layed out and pretty easy on the eye. It's been extremely reliable (until recently - I had to reinstall Jaguar and that fixed some closing down issues with Entourage taking 30 seconds to quit - it would just hang there - annoying when you're trying to shut down the machine). I have some 8000+ emails on my system (I'm a hoarder) and it doesn't even blink at that.

The only thing I dislike is not being able to change the subject of any email. I get all my work emails (Lotus Notes) redirected to my home email account, and the system at work doesn't allow me to forward the emails while maintaining the original subject heading. They are all renamed to a set subject (eg. "Stuff from work"). That makes it hard to work out what each message is about. If anyone has ideas about how to change this then surely let me know.

I've got friends who use Windoze, and one of them changes email apps on a regular basis - just to test out what functionality they have. Each new app (or version of a different app) seems to be bigger and better, so he's forever swapping around. I think it's easier on the PC because most email apps deal with importing emails from other apps the same way. I can't cope with changing apps like that - I stick to something I know, and that's me for life. So I don't even know what Mail or iCal can do to be honest. Zeal :)

Back