Many pages will not load with Safari, IE & Firefox

Coco

Registered
A great problem has struck me down just yesterday, it is a common one though I guess, hopefully someone can help and it's no trouble. I am using OS X 10.3.2 and I usually use Internet Explorer, but also have Firefox and Safari installed. The problem I have is that I go to www.ebay.com.au and that page loads fine, but then I click 'my ebay' and that section does not load at all, it just goes to 'sending request' and stays like that. I cannot visit amazon.com at all, www.sbs.com.au is the same, some IMDb pages and all IMDb boards. It's usually that the site does not load at all, and it is the same with Safari and Firefox. All I could think to do was empty the cache through the preferences of each browser and delete cookies, but this hasn't made any difference. I've tried searching for a solution, both here and other places, but I don't really know what terms to search. I've had this problem before too, but it could be rectified then by restarting the computer but this doesn't help now.

What do you have your cookies set to?

Check your hard drive>Library>Internet Plugins folder.

You should have Shockwave, Flash and Java installed. I am not sure if those sites you are having trouble with use those plugins.

Both pages load fine for me in Safari and Firefox.

Update your system to 10.3.5.

If you are having the same problem in different browsers I would probably say it might be your ISP causing the problem.

I'm like BobW, both the eBay Australia and SBS Australia sites work just fine for me using Safari 1.2.3 or Firefox 1.0. I also tried their identical US sites with the same results. I looked at the page source for the eBay Australia site and there is a ton of JavaScript, but no Java per. se. so your Java version would have no effect whatsoever. There is no Flash or Shockwave content either so your problem is not with the plugins. The only Font tags do not change the actual font, only the color so the problem is unlikely to be a corrupted font.

The problem with a page not loading is most often associated with a server problem on the host site and not something on your computer.

Since Safari and Firefox use entirely different rendering engines any problems there should be eliminated.

When this happens, have you tried quitting Safari and then relaunching it? Logging out and logging back in (a lot faster than restarting)?

Thankyou all for these replies, but everything is fine now. The computer froze before and I had to restart it and after that I had no more of these problems (I had already tried restarting before though and it didn't help those times). I will try some of these suggestions if it happens again, which it likely will, and then that will hopefully be the end of it.

Do you have a firewall installed? Do you have a parental blocking in place? Are you using a style sheet setting in your browsers?

sorry for resurrecting this old thread, but i'm having the exact same problem. ebay loads fine (sometimes), but my ebay won't load at all. it's the same for safari, IE, and firefox. this started about 3 days ago, but it fixed itself two nights ago, when my computer froze. then it stopped working again last night. the pages load fine on my parents computer, which is using the same cable connection (mine is wireless).
has anyone figured out how to fix this?

Back