MCE Ind. iB G3 900MHz SuperDrive mod

eleveneastgate

Registered
People...

Those with a iB G3 900MHz, would you consider doing this modification to your iB? Any thoughts?

MCE Ships 8X Slot-Loading SuperDrive for Tray-Loading iBook G3 IRVINE, CA, April 18, 2005 – MCE Technologies, LLC (MCE), a leader in the development of innovative storage peripherals for the Macintosh, today announced an 8X DVD-Recordable slotloading internal SuperDrive upgrade to replace the tray-loading drive in the Apple 12” and 14” iBook G3. The MCE 8X Slot-Loading SuperDrive for the iBook G3, designed in white to match the iBook’s color, replaces the iBook’s original tray-loading drive and provides a simple slot at the side of the iBook for the easy insertion of CD and DVD discs. In addition to playing CD audio and DVD video, the drive writes to CD media at 24X, to both DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW media at up to 8X speed, and can record to Double Layer media at up to 2.4X. The MCE 8X Slot-Loading SuperDrive upgrade for iBook G3 is available for immediate shipment.

“Providing a slot, similar to that found on the current iBook G4, to replace the flimsy, cumbersome tray, the MCE 8X SuperDrive upgrade for the tray-loading iBook G3 is at once an economic and elegant upgrade designed to provide all the capabilities and performance necessary for iBook G3 users to take full advantage of their Digital Lifestyle”, stated Arnie Ramirez, president of MCE.

The MCE 8X SuperDrive upgrade for the 12” and 14” Apple iBook G3 writes to standard DVD-R and DVD+R media at 8X speed, to standard DVD-RW and DVD+RW media at 4X speed, and to 8.5GB DVD+R Double Layer media at 2.4X speed. In addition, it writes to standard 650MB (74 minute) and 700MB (80 minute) CD-R media at up to 24X speed, writes to standard CD-RW media at up to 24X speed, reads DVD-ROM discs at up to 8X speed, and reads standard CD-ROM discs at up to 24X speed. A liquid crystal tilt/thickness compensator is incorporated into the MCE 8X SuperDrive upgrade providing more accurate and reliable read and write performance with irregularly curved or thick/thin media and is also effective in recording DVD+R Double Layer media.

The MCE 8X SuperDrive upgrade for the iBook G3 is bootable and is fully compatible with Apple’s iTunes, iFinder Burning, iPhoto, and DVD Player. In addition, the drive is natively supported by Mac OS 10.3.6 (or later). Drivers are provided for compatibility with Mac OS 9 and Mac OS 10.2.x.

The MCE 8X internal SuperDrive upgrade is compatible with all iBook G3 12” and 14” laptops. The suggested retail price is $199. Due to the technical nature of the procedure, MCE requires that the drive be installed at a local MCE Authorized Service Centers or at MCE. More information may be found online at http://www.mcetech.com/ibg3dvdr8dl.html.

MCE develops and markets a wide range of Apple Macintosh related products and solutions to distributors, dealers and end users. MCE is based in Irvine, California and can be located on the web at www.mcetech.com, or by calling 800-5000-MAC (949-458-0800).

Press Contact: Ben Perez, MCE Technologies (949) 458-0800 ben@mcetech.com

The Ghost said:
Yes, but I am not sure if MCE will do it on a 12."

Yes.

MCE Ind said:
The MCE 8X SuperDrive upgrade for the 12” and 14” Apple iBook G3...

I'm gonna do this inna couple of months... then stick the 60G HD into a case so I can have one as an external.

um...

$199 superdrive
$ 39 installation
$ ?? shipping

$250 or more - I'd sell the g3 on ebay, put in the cash plus maybe another $100 and get a new g4 1.33

It get's you out of g3 logicboard issues, a 30% cpu boost and a new computer...

If you add in the price of the Tiger upgrade - it could be a straight out trade

$250 (upgrade price) + $100 (u threw in) + $650 / $550 (avg e-bay price for the 14" / avg e-bay price for the 12") = $1000 / $900

Cheapest iBook with a superdrive is the 14" model at $1499, not including tax and shipping. You'd also have to spend around $100 more ($150 from Apple) for extra RAM. So $1500 + $100 (RAM) + $100 (a 6% tax would be around $96) = $1700

Since he has a 12" model, we'll use $900. $900 is not equal to, nor near, $1700. That's also making him settle on a 14" model over a 12" (which I have no problems with, but he may).

Would I do it with mine? Dunno...I really don't have a need for DVD burning right now...it'd be nice to have of course, but it's not a requirement for me...YET. If the CD drive crapped out on me, I'd probably do it then over the standard replacement.

Back