MOT to release 90 nanometer chips????

Oscar Castillo

Registered
Check this article at CNET which reports Motorola, STMicro and Philips to start production by the end of this year on 90 nanometer CPUS first a high-end version then a lower end version next year.

Which article?:confused: What does it all mean?:confused: Am I confused?:confused: Enlighten me? (Are we talking G5's here or a bitter divorce between Apple and Moto?:confused: )

They are talking about chip prduction here. As far as how they are designed. Basically Motorola is making their chips more effecient and smaller.

However they are not making them perform much better. So to me this article is kind of... hmmm flawed in the broad sense. They are way behind and need to focus on PERFORMANCE. That is the bottom line in microprocessor design, in my opinion. They have been making 3-4 versions of the same G4 doing micron changes, and various cache implementations and increasing performance in small increments. That is going to kill them in the long run. This is what has many users heated. Performance needs to be a big focus for Motorola, or we are going to be hurting bad in the future. The competition isn't standing still. Hopefully IBM steps in VERY soon before Motorola kills us.

I think the deal is that G4s are a very small part of Motorola's business. They are far more focused on cell phones and other small electronics devices.

The benefit of the 90 nanometer process is that they'll be able to build chips with the same amount of processing power (speed) but they will draw even less electricity and therefore extend the battery life of a phone/pda/whatever. Also, it will give off less heat.

This tech will eventually make it into their CPU business but that will have to wait. CPUs are not a major part of Motorola's business.

Vanguard

PS I think that Apple would be better off if they switched to a vendor that cared more about them.

I think Motorola is paying close attention to the PDA market because the Dragonball chips are so widely used. With the new chips, they can dominate and control the PDA market.

Also, on dedicated audio systems, I have noticed, the vendors are also using MOT chips and the processors comes in large numbers (SSL digital systems runs up to 32 MOT processor chips in one CPU) and this means better money for MOT. Apple just use one in the CPU. Not good sales. Apple drops in the priority list.

Gee...

Wondering what will happen if Apple works with Yamaha Corp to build the new chips. Yamaha has got the world's largest automated factories and the quality of chips built is simply yummy. I am a big Yammy fan (synthesizers and DSP home theatre system) so I was wondering aloud.

Don't flame me... just sharing a thought.

Back