Multi-Account Synchronization Blues

bigbadbill

Flaccid Member
iSync's ability to synchronize my contact information between my home and office computers is an invaluable tool. Synchronizing contacts between two accounts on the same machine however, has been a battle I have yet to win.

My wife and I have different accounts on our iMac but we still have the same family and friends! Keeping our contact information up to date can be a daunting task.

I thought our problems had ended with the advent of .Mac and iSync but alas, syncing contacts also changes the "My Card" information in address book causing my wife to sign into iChat as me.

Is there some miracle method to synchronize contacts between two accounts on the same machine that eludes me?

(btw— I have also had to deal with similar issues with our iTunes and iPhoto libraries as we also have the same music and the same photos. Is it just me or is Apple really missing something here?)

bigbadbill said:
(btw— I have also had to deal with similar issues with our iTunes and iPhoto libraries as we also have the same music and the same photos. Is it just me or is Apple really missing something here?)

The iTunes problem is not a problem. Just put the music is a folder (like in Users->Shared) that both of the users have permissions to get into, then go to each User's iTunes Preferences->Advanced, and change the location of each iTunes music folder to that Share folder. The important thing is making sure the iTunes share folder (where you put the music library) has permissions set that both users can read&write to it.

They also have spoke about this on a iTunes Support document and in the Apple iTunes Discussions forum.

Also, look at this hint(and read the forum too)about using symbolic links between Users.

Yes, i have dealt with the iTunes and iPhoto issues. But the contacts problem i still need an answer for.

Back