My mac can talk to win 98, but not vice versa

ansfrid

Registered
My wife has a win 98 machine (yeah yeah). I finally managed to get the mac to connect to it, and see the shared folders, but I have not managed to make the win machine connect to the mac. I have set up the mac for windows sharing, I have the relevant network ip that I need to use, I map a network drive on windows to that address, and I get asked for a password. That's where I get stumped.

I set up a user on my mac with the same name as my wife logs in on the mac, but it doesn't quite seem to work, I just get invalid password. I have tried both the username and the nickname as the relevant name, no luck. Not sure what I am missing.

I also yet to tackle hitting the network printer connected to her machine (she has more usb ports), so I am hoping that'll work, but I may have to ask about that later.

The reason you are getting the invalid password is that Windows thinks you are logged in as a default user, and assumes the username of that default user when you are prompted the password. In Windows NT/2000/XP, you are asked for both the username and password which makes it more flexible, especially since these three versions of Windows are multiuser operating systems by nature. Windows 9x is not, even with it's shabby attempt at doing so. You would basically have to "log out" (the option is there when you tell it to log out or shut down). and then type the name of an account that is resident on the Mac (you don't even need a password when logging back in to the Windows deskop). Once you are in, try accessing the shares. It should prompt you for the password and since you are using the proper username (one that should also be resident on the Mac) you will be able to see the shares.

Hope that made some sense. :D

On a Windoze98 PC I have a single account; not of the same name as on the Mac (which has two accounts).

I too noticed the 'password' problem when right clicking on 'Network Neighborhood', selecting 'Map Network Drive...', entering '\\192.168.0.2\s', (where 's' is the name of the Mac) etc.

Instead, the solution (here) is to select 'Start, Log Off x' where 'x' is the current PC user account, clicking 'Yes' on the 'Log Off Windows' alert box, entering the Mac 'System Preferences' 'Accounts' assigned account name and password - into the 'Enter Windows Password's dialog box'es respective 'User name:' and 'Password' textedit fields - before clicking the 'OK' button.
Next, I click on the 'Network Neighborhood' ('Desktop' based) icon and note the Mac is now listed in the 'Network Neighborhood' window.
By double clicking on the listed Mac computer name (under the 'Name' column), I now see and access the Mac account's home folder, and even a USB connected printer.

I have yet to succeed in printing with the Mac connected USB printer from the Windoze98 PC.

To access the other Mac account's home folder, I just repeat the above ... 'Start, Log Off x', ... entering the other Mac 'System Preferences' 'Accounts' assigned account name and password - into the 'Enter Windows Password's dialog box ... double click on 'Network Neighborhood' ... click on the listed Mac computer name ... locate and double click on the other Mac account's home folder ...

Before shutting down the Windoze98 PC I log back in to the PC account.

-----

There may be other ways, to connect to a Mac via a Windoze98 PC, etc.; but, the above works for me.

Back