Need Buying Advise

webman2k

Registered
Here's my problem...

I have an iBook 500 (rev a) that I have to give back to someone soon, so I need to get my own laptop.

Right now, I'm VERY satisfied with Jaguar on this system, which is 500mhz, has 320 mb ram, and an 8 mb video card. In fact, I'm shocked at how well everything runs.

Let me also say that I'm NOT a "power user." I don't run any heavy applications, or demanding games. I mainly use it for web, email, appleworks, iTunes and some small games (shareware, puzzle type games - heck, the heaviest thing I run is Myth II, which runs great on this machine! )

So my question is, do I get a powerbook 12", or the lowend iBook (I have an external firewire burner). If I get the iBook, do you think I'll have a problem with panther? If I get the powerbook, it'll set me back another $600 that I'm not sure is worth it for what I do....

What do you all think? Thanks for your help!

I think the iBook would be great for you. Either the lowend, or with combo drive. For Panther ... we'll probably know better after 23 June (WWDC), when Panther will be introduced. I think it'll make sense that 10.3 will run on the same machines that run 10.2, so unlike M$ not forcing everyone to upgrade all the time. My guess is that if it would not run, they wouldn't be selling any G3s any more. :-/

Can you wait untill 23 June, or do you plan to get your Mac already before?

The iBook should be more than up to the task. I'd recommend getting the combo drive model as it is immensely useful.

I also have the rev.a iBook 500, and the comparison between my iBook and the current line-up is rather unfair. Not only are the processor speeds much higher, but the bus speed as well.

Definitely go for the iBook. For what you want to do, it's perfectly perfect. The only reason you have to get a Powerbook is if you want to do something intense, like Photoshop or 3D rendering (which apparently you don't).

Originally posted by webman2k
Here's my problem...

I have an iBook 500 (rev a) that I have to give back to someone soon, so I need to get my own laptop.

Right now, I'm VERY satisfied with Jaguar on this system, which is 500mhz, has 320 mb ram, and an 8 mb video card. In fact, I'm shocked at how well everything runs.

Let me also say that I'm NOT a "power user." I don't run any heavy applications, or demanding games. I mainly use it for web, email, appleworks, iTunes and some small games (shareware, puzzle type games - heck, the heaviest thing I run is Myth II, which runs great on this machine! )

So my question is, do I get a powerbook 12", or the lowend iBook (I have an external firewire burner). If I get the iBook, do you think I'll have a problem with panther? If I get the powerbook, it'll set me back another $600 that I'm not sure is worth it for what I do....

What do you all think? Thanks for your help!

If money isn't the problem I would go for the PowerBook 12" just because it is more "future-proof" plus its new price make it highly affordable if you ask me :D ;)

:)

Even if you're not a Poweruser, don't discard the PowerBook yet. A G4 matters to more than just the heavy graphics apps, in fact the entire system is a heavy graphic app! With such a graphics intensive interface, the AltiVec unit does matter for speed and snappiness.

Concerning price, yes the PB costs more than the iBook, but in the basic configuration comes already with 256 MB of RAM instead of 128 and a 40GB HD instead of 30 GB. So it isn't just more expensive, it also gives you more.
Another big advantage of the PowerBook is that it's ready for AirportExtreme and has integrated Bluetooth, which, like Hulk pointed out, makes it quite "future proof".

Moreover, I don't know about the bus, AFAIK, it is still 100 MHz, while the PB has 133 MHz.

Consider waiting for the requirements for Panther and then deciding.

Personally I like the fact that it's slot loading, but that's just aestethics. :D

Thank you all for your quick responces. I think I'm going to wait for WWDC and see what happens there.

Unfortunately, money is a huge factor here. in fact, whatever I get I'd be financing through Apple, so I'm leaning toward the 800mhz iBook.

Also, the 4.5 hours battery life wirththe ibook is very important, as I don't like to use it plugged in, so the iBook wins that battle hands down (at least for now).

I'm aware that I have to wait a second or two more on the iBook for things to happen, but that's ok. the price is worth that extra waiting time for me.

Here's hoping they boost the speeds at WWDC (probably won't happen though)

Thanks again for your help!

Apple just released the 12" AlBook a few months ago (January, actually, around the time of the Superbowl). They aren't going to revamp it for some time; rather, they will probably come out with new 15" PB's.

I think, for your uses, you don't need as much raw power or hard drive space, or the bells and whistles like APX and BT. The only thing I would recommend is that, whichever computer you get, you get as much RAM for it as you can afford. I'd recommend this for any computer, even faux computers like Wintel boxes. :)))

Actually, I heart with some certainty that the 12" models are being updated. I was in the apple store talking to an employee, when I was checking out both models (12" ibook and 12" powerbook), the saleman said "...and the powerbook has the backlit keys too..."

To which I said, "no it doesn't, only the 17" has it."

His expression took a step back, like he just said something he wasn't supposed to. he then said "they might have it very soon..." - then smiled.

If you ask me, he probably just made a mistake, was a little embarrassed by it, and was trying to cover. Of course it could be something! :)
On the other hand, I would say definitely go for the iBook. I have one, and it is great. The 14" screen is wonderful and the battery life on the 14" blows almost anything else away. A friend of mine got the 12" Powerbook, and we were just sitting there downloading updates. Her battery was gone, and I still had two hours left! :D
The iBook should have more than enough power for what you want to do. I have never run Photoshop on mine, but it runs Fireworks MX and Dreamweaver MX like a dream :) It plays game like The Sims, Warcraft III (demo) and RTCW (demo) just fine. All in all, I think I probably tax my system more than you plan to, and I never have to wait for it :D
One thing I am not too happy with though: I wish I had a bigger screen resolution. However, the 12" PB doesn't have a larger one, so unless you plan to jump for the 15", don't worry about it!

Back