Neighbor using my AirPort

torres

unTitled 1
The other day I noticed that my upstairs neighbor has been connecting to the internet through my AirPort network. I know there are several ways I can keep them off, but I kind of wanted to do something a little more fun.

I was wondering if you guys knew of any ways that I could maybe send this person a message or something like that. I’m not trying to do anything malicious, just get their attention. I have their IP address and MAC address if that helps.

I plan on ultimately asking them if they’d be interested in sharing the costs of the connection but how I ask them will depend on what you guys can tell me.

Thanks.

I don't know what you can do, but that has to be one of the funniest things I have ever read. It reminds me of my school: if you go within the Airport range of the library many people use the school's Internet and do their best to try and slow it down. As for your problem with the neighbour what about connecting to his computer through the wireless network? Your computer is connected to the Airport and his is too, isn't there a way that you can send something through the Airport and back into his computer somehow? I'm sure you could find something if you looked around the net a little. I haven't stopped laughing for over 10 minutes.

ohhh, I love playing with people like that. :D

Do you have any clue what type of computer they're using? If it's OS X you can use the "type" command to send them a message. (Think Windows Network Messaging)

If they're not using OS X you may be able to find if they're using any services such as AIM or ICQ by using a packet sniffer. Once you have their IM client info you can send them a message using your own client.

Since he is on your network and you can get his IP, he may have FTP access on - maybe you can send him a boatload of files right to his desktop! Don't let on - keep playing with him and if he says anything, play dumb.

How about something like this application:

link

It allows you to capture what piccies they are downloading over your LAN. That could be quite interesting. :)

I use a Linksys router, although I'm sure you could do this with other types of wireless networks, and there is an area where I can check all the active DCHP IP addresses on the ariport network.

check out this image:

DHCP-Table.jpg

"serendipity" is the name of my neighbors computer.

Any idea how this works w/ a computer set up as a base station. I share my connection w/ my neighbor (who has a peecee). I set up my 17'' iMac to be the base station. She can see and get on if I don't password encrypt it. However if I do encrypt it she can see the network but can't get on (even with the password). I can get on fine w/ my iBook though. Her computer needs a 'key' but I don't know how to acess this key b/c I can't use the Airport administrator or the base station configure utilities when the computer is the base station. Any ideas?

I assume you have a broadband connection with your Airport. Is there a way to log or keep track of the exact time/bandwidth your neighbor is using? If so, hunt around the internet (Sherlock is your friend) for legal notices such as "Cease and Desist" or "suing for stolen services", or try M$ Office's template index for legal notices. Email him a statement/legal notice/agreement from a ficticious law firm with an account of all the time and broadband he used, costs incurred to you, damages you incurred, federal hacking charges, potential security breaches to your network with his presence, fines and penalities, and reimbursements and monetary awards owed to you. Send this lengthy statement to his .Mac email address with the explanation that this legal document was submitted and accepted in [YOUR STATE] federal court of law and is active and legally binding with the stipulation that this whole thing can be settled out of court if he replies to a ficticious email address (it will bounce back as "undeliverable") by a certain time and date. Failure to comply with the agreed terms results in an automatic jail sentence, maximum imposible fine, and dates where and when he should arrive at the federal prison in [YOUR STATE]. Don't forget to state that contacting the plaintiff directly is illegal and results in automatic disagreement of the terms and conditions of the settlement. If this doesn't scare him, I don't know what else will.

1. Encrypt your network thus cutting him off.

2. Go up and ask if he wants to share the bill. If he doesn't, see step 1. If he does, collect the money, then set a password, and then give him the password.

You could mess with him all you like, but lets face it. Many of us would take advantage of Free Fast Bandwidth if it were available. I am sure that he is no different. Yeah, it's wrong, but hey, be honest with yourself before flaming me. If you have ever downloaded an MP3 from the gnutella network, or installed pirated software, you are in the same boat.

So, either cut him off or see if he wants to share the cost.

what is the legality of him using your unsecured network? With my extremely small background in business law I believe that unauthorized use of computer services is designated as a computer crime... in the same boat with hacks and stolen information.

That being the case, if it was me, I would still try to play with him a little. (what's he gonna do, run to the cops?? :D) I wouldn't do anything mallacious, just have a little fun. My favorite thing to do once I want to let them know is creating a picture explaining everything and then setting it as their desktop background.
That gets my point across fairly well.

Other than that if the router has the capability, slowly choke his bandwidth down to nothing. Once you have it choked down significantly then go to his doorstep. Once you tell him, he then knows that you've known for quite some time. You can really watch them squirm then.

I'm always too intregued by their security measures to just let things just go.

This is just too funny to not post back in here. You and scope may have some talking to do! :D

Originally posted by scope
I have my house set up with AirPort 2. This computer (G4) has the card in it, and the other computer (G3) is connected via LAN. Well, our cable went out, so I was stuck with no internet. I then looked at the AirPort status menu and saw a network called "linksys." I had never seen this before and I didn't make it, so I decided to jump on. It turns out, my nextdoor neighbor has DSL and uses a linksys wireless router. He's not much of a computer guy, so it was open and WEP free! The signal is about 1/2 strength, but it works! Thank god for wireless internet!

That's too funny... But this person is my UPSTAIRS neighbor.

You guys have come up with some interesting suggestions... could anyone provide some links to specifics on how to do these things?

I've never done anything quite like this before.

Thanks

The first step to take is to find out what OS he's running. This can be done with a packet sniffer to find out what's being sent and recieved from that address. Once you intercept quite a few packets you can reassemble them to see what info is being sent back and forth. Although I've always done that on a PC I know that there has to be a good OS X utility available for this. I'm looking right now.

If you're wanting to be really malacious, many passwords for Messenger services, websites, some mail services, and windows network shares are sent in plain text over the network!

Once you find out what OS he has you can then find the needed exploits. I'm assuming he's using windows. If that's the case there are so many security holes documented for windows I don't even think I need to go into any more detail. There are major holes still left in most microsoft OS's, even with the latest security updates. In fact I can think of a few nasty ones for XP before SP1 was released. A simple google search will turn up a ton of stuff that you're looking for. Half the fun is the learning involved in doing things like this. It's all about trial and error!

you could just use nmap to find out what OS he uses. That would also tell you what services he has open...

Back