Network Issues...Please help... rendezvous etc

kanecorp

Registered
I'm at a college, obviously on a network. I have my Mac and notebook pc in my room, so I brought with me a wifi router. Well this makes me on a separate network so rendezvous and itunes sharing etc doesn't show up. Is there anyway i can stay on this network i have on my linksys router, but still be on the school network so i get the rendezvous and itunes sharing etc?

(I know I'm still "on" the school network, but you know what I mean)

Thanks a lot

oh ya the mac is hardwired its the pc thats wifi...i dont really care about the pc tho

You could open up the ports on your router for Rendezvous and iTunes sharing -- I don't know what they are, but a little googling would probably yield the answer.

Wifi or hard-wired makes no difference. Wifi is the same as wired, just without the wires -- there's no difference in DHCP or IP addresses or anything.

Also, for Rendezvous and iTunes sharing, you must be on the same subnet as the rest of the network, otherwise, no matter how many ports you open, you won't be able to see or share anything. And, since you're using a router-under-a-router situation, you're probably on a different subnet.

I didn't really get the situation. You have a Mac at home that is connected to the internet. Now you are at a college and want to access your itunes files? Rendezvous is for local networks, if I am not mistaking it.
However, I don't know if this will be of any help, but remember you will need appletalk for rendezvous and appletalk can be active for only one network device. If I have appletalk on for my ethernet connection and I move to a wifi one, I will need to open the system preferences and change the appletalk support from ethernet to my airport card. Just a shot into the dark room..

Zammy-Sam said:
I didn't really get the situation. You have a Mac at home that is connected to the internet. Now you are at a college and want to access your itunes files? Rendezvous is for local networks, if I am not mistaking it.
However, I don't know if this will be of any help, but remember you will need appletalk for rendezvous and appletalk can be active for only one network device. If I have appletalk on for my ethernet connection and I move to a wifi one, I will need to open the system preferences and change the appletalk support from ethernet to my airport card. Just a shot into the dark room..

no thanks anyways
the first guy understood

but it didn't work anyways

router-under-a-router... ahhhh. Now I understand.
This is actually what I have at home and the computer do have the same subnet: the main router has DHCP on and works the way a router does. It is connected to my dsl modem over it's WAN plug. Now, I have one cable connected to the ethernet plug of the main router (one of the four) and the WAN plug of the client router. I told the client router to have DHCP off and retrieve the ip from the WAN connection. So, now my client router is some sort of hub. My pc, that is plugged to the main router is in the same subnet like my powerbook which is using the accesspoint of the client router. I was worried for accessing the router menu since the client routers ip is now variable, but calling the router over the domain name works just fine.
However, can't check appletalk and rendezvous with the pc. So, if the subnet was the problem, it should work after this constellation.

You can have the same subnet and not be on the same subnet. The subnet for his school is probably 255.255.255.0, and the subnet for his router is probably also 255.255.255.0, but it's not the same subnet, since the school is controlling the first subnet, and the router is controlling the second subnet.

And Rendezvous doesn't require AppleTalk... AppleTalk is being phased out by Apple, and it would be silly for them to base their Rendezvous protocol(s) on AppleTalk. While it may operate over AppleTalk, it certainly isn't AppleTalk-dependent.

Rendezvous is a UDP protocol, based on DNS I think.

The problem is that Rendezvous announcements are sent to the local subnet's broadcast address, so they don't get routed.

Depending on your AP's setup, you might be able to get it to act like a switch, and let the subnets on both sides be the same. You'd have to figure that one out though, I couldn't tell ya...

ElDiabloConCaca said:
You can have the same subnet and not be on the same subnet. The subnet for his school is probably 255.255.255.0, and the subnet for his router is probably also 255.255.255.0, but it's not the same subnet, since the school is controlling the first subnet, and the router is controlling the second subnet.

And Rendezvous doesn't require AppleTalk... AppleTalk is being phased out by Apple, and it would be silly for them to base their Rendezvous protocol(s) on AppleTalk. While it may operate over AppleTalk, it certainly isn't AppleTalk-dependent.
Thanks, didn't know about rendezvous not being dependant on AppleTalk. But back to the subnet discussion:
How can I access the lan on the master router over my client routers lan, if they are not really in the same subnet? By access I mean using Apple K or windows network environment. Does such kind of lan-access work over different subnets?
I think turning off the dhcp of the client router and using the wan link of that router to connect it to another one is some sort of conversion to a switch as scruffy proposed. Otherwise I would guess that my current network constellation is based on Gods blessing. ;)

You should be able to access network shares and other network devices fine in a router-under-router situation. It's only iTunes that's a problem here -- Apple "upgraded" iTunes a while back, and in fact, turned off sharing of music playlists to different subnets to stop people from sharing music over the internet. The sharing is supposedly only for streaming to different computers on your home network, and people were streaming over the internet and capturing the stream, effectively copying the file.

iTunes now only allows streaming on the same subnet, and, when you add a separate, new DHCP server under an existing DHCP server (just as in a router-under-router config) then you've just created two subnets, regardless if they share the same subnet mask... 255.255.255.0 is the most common for simple networks. The subnet mask is private, so it only affects computers connected to that router -- other routers can use the same subnet numbers and still be separate.

To eliminate the subnet sharing limitation, instead of hooking up the router as a DHCP server, just hook it up to the other router as a hub through the router's uplink port, if your router supports using it as a hub/switch instead of a router. The "master" router should be able to distribute more IP addresses than it has ports, so all you need to do is add more ports to the router, like an uplinked hub will do. Then all the computers will be on the same subnet.

Back