NEW - Airport Express

bobw

The Late: SuperMacMod
http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/

June 7, 2004 - 13:02 EDT Apple today introduced AirPort Express, "the world's first 802.11g mobile base station that can be plugged directly into the wall for wireless Internet connections and USB printing, or thrown into a laptop bag to bring wireless freedom to hotel rooms with broadband connections." Airport Express also features analog and digital audio outputs that can be connected to a stereo and new AirTunes music networking software that wirelessly streams music to any room in the house. AirPort Express features a single piece ultra-compact design weighing 6.7 ounces, and will be available to Mac and PC users in July for US$129. AirTunes requires the next version of iTunes (iTunes 4.6), which is expected to be available later this week as a free download.

Niiiice. What a way to start off a week. I didn't even expect news like this today. Did anyone predict this new device? This one just came out of nowhere ... for me that is--and I'm a super apple rumor follower.

Kewl Steve! :D

v. kl! this is def one that apple has managed to keep quiet i think! and looks quite a good edition to the "airport" range!

I've been hoping Apple would release something like this for the last year or so. Now all Apple has to do is make a "solution" for quality iPod output in your automobile, and enable make the next gen iPod WiFi enabled to bypass the computer altogether.

wait... you need two of them to get it to work... or just an airport extreme base station?

look around the apple site and in software update itunes v 4.6 - no ware to be found! maybe later this week?

I heard from someone that apple would be releasing something new this week, but I wouldn't have expected this. I'm surprised that Apple come out with this as I don't think any of the rumors I've heard have mentioned an addition to the airport line. Well anyway, it sounds like a good product and I'm glad I didn't trade in my G5 in hopes they'd release a new one this week, hehe ;)

im surprised they didnt make it work with video too.... imagine being able to wirelessly play videos or games that are on your computer on your TV screen.
maybe the datarate is too high for airport?

sur said:
wait... you need two of them to get it to work... or just an airport extreme base station?

Depends what you want to do. The Airport Express Base Station has no LAN port, so if you want to connect to a wired network, you will need a regular base station. Otherwise, this will provide wireless access to an Internect connection for up to 10 computers. At the same time, it can also connect to a compatible USB printer, and it has a phone jack to connect to a stereo receiver so you can stream iTunes wirelessly to your stereo.

Not too shabby! Next: Firewire-less so we can stream video over a wireless connection! :)

jobsen_ski said:
i was wondering that too! anyone know anything?

I don't think you need either. Just the Airport Express. It has an ethernet port on it so you don't need wireless at all. The thing about it is, it'll act as a wireless base station, or connect to an existing wireless or wired network automatically.

Captain Code said:
I don't think you need either. Just the Airport Express. It has an ethernet port on it so you don't need wireless at all. The thing about it is, it'll act as a wireless base station, or connect to an existing wireless or wired network automatically.

I'm not sure this is true. Where did you get this info? I don't see it on Apple's site. The tech specs say WAN port but no LAN port.

Now we need a wireless connection for vga and I will playback my DVD on the beamer (plugged to the roof) and my hifi wireless! :D
Great idea and I think the price is also ok.

macgeek said:
I'm not sure this is true. Where did you get this info? I don't see it on Apple's site. The tech specs say WAN port but no LAN port.

Look at the picture at the top right on this page
http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/specs.html

It's an auto configuring port, LAN or WAN.

And from this
"AirPort Express delivers unprecedented wireless freedom in a highly portable unit that fits in the palm of your hand. Unwire your home for everything from playing your iTunes music through stereo speakers to sharing a single broadband Internet connection and a USB printer to extending your current wireless network."

It wouldn't make much sense without a LAN port either. How would you share music from your computer without it?

Also, the tech specs say it can act as a bridge which means you don't need another base station to access the network if you don't have one.

Captain Code: Okay, fair enough. I missed that pic. Good find!

However, the problem still remains, if you want to use the Airport Express Hub to connect to the Internet, you can't connect it to your wired LAN... not without another router. Most ISPs now store your MAC Address, so you can't just hook your cable/dsl modem into a regular network hub/switch. I had that exact setup (before Apple added a second ethernet port to its Airport Hubs) and it stopped working once Comcast decided to store MAC Addresses.

So, if your ISP does not store MAC Addresses, you can set it up so that your modem is connected to a wired network hub that also has a ethernet connection to your Airport Express Hub. Set up the Airport Express Hub as your router and you're set. The only trick is getting your Airport Hub to grab an IP if your ISP doesn't provide static IPs.

If your ISP DOES store your MAC Address, you have a few solutions:
1. Make everything connect wirelessly.
2. Buy a router or set up another machine (that has 2 network cards) as your router and connect your modem to that router/machine. NOTE: You will need to add your own firewall as well.
3. Buy an Airport Extreme hub to use with your Airport Express Hub.

I'm not suggesting you don't know this information. I'm merely adding it for everyone's benefit because there were questions. I'm also open to other suggestions if I've missed something.

Yep, you're right, if you need wired and wireless computers on the network and you don't already have a wired router, then you will need some sort of router to make it work.

For a pure wireless network this would work great up to 10 users.

Now we just need something to control iTunes FROM the stereo.

Well, if you have an iPod connected with the output jack, use the Novii remote for wireless control of the iPod.

Back