New Firewire Drive/Which Format?

Splinky

Registered
I just bought a new 160 GB firewire drive. In the Disc Uility window I see my drive showing up twice. "149.1 Oxford" and under it says "NO NAME"
Just wondering which one to select?

I'm am looking to do basic storage and some video storage (FCP & Imovie). Shoud I format the volume as "Mac OS Extended" or Mac OSX Extended (Journaled)? What is the difference?

Go for MacOS-X Extended, and back-up it from time to time if your data is critical.

The journaling allows to recover older version of files, but this is not absolutely bug-free yet.

The first listing is the drive make. The second icon is the one you want to format.

That is kind of confusing in Disk Utility.

The first thing listed (149.1 Oxford) is the "device," and under that is the "volume" or "volumes," if you partitioned into more than one partition.

If you want to keep the current partitioning scheme (ie, one partition) you can select the partition and format it. If you want to change the partition scheme (make more than one partition) you can select the device and then partition it.

chevy said:
Go for MacOS-X Extended, and back-up it from time to time if your data is critical.

The journaling allows to recover older version of files, but this is not absolutely bug-free yet.
so what would you reccommend for music storage, mac os extended?

I would say most definitely OS X Extended. Unless the drive's music library will be used on a Windows iTunes also (shared by a Mac & a PC). The backup Chevy talked about can be made bootable with Cabon Copy Cloner.

Mac OS Extended. Mac OS Extended for any drive other than your boot drive.

Mac OS Extended (Journaled) for your boot drive only. All other drives should be Mac OS Extended.

Back