New Newton? *yes please*

H2OSX

iKnow (sometimes)
I found this little article a a couple days ago

HERE

As far as I know Apple's Newton staff was never fired, and this would be the perfect time for them to make a new newton. The iPod craze will get ppl to buy the im guessin around $300-400 newton b/c it will replace whatever is the high end iPod. I personally would love a new newton running a chopped version of OSX. I would like it to look something like the attached pic. Im wonderin what you guys would want it to be able to do/ cool features etc. Ill start us off:

Bluetooth
80211. whatever letters are out
A 40-60 gig HD
Able to run iTunes, iPhoto, Quicktime, and some other pgrams at regular speeds
Built in TV tuner
Light up keyboard (like in the powerbooks)
A min of 13 hour batt life
Good use of Inkwell
GPS
Firewire connections
An awesome screen
Good microphone
Built in scanner?
Speakers
And It has to look sweet (not that we have to worry, i mean this is apple were talkin about)

Attachments

• iNewt2big.jpg
    iNewt2big.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 290
padishahemperor said:
I think iPod Video will be more likely rather than a Newton.

Yeah, and we all know Steve's view on the video player...

I'd love a newton but not if it was called 'iNewt'... that's just creepy. I'd rename it to Burty or something.

I a new Newton (or similar) comes, it will include the newest input system, no keyboard or pen.

chevy said:
I a new Newton (or similar) comes, it will include the newest input system, no keyboard or pen.
I wouldn't bother with something without a keyboard, it's a necessity for me. I'd like to see either a iPod with TV recording and video playback like the Archos or a system like the OQO or Zaurus C3000 with Mac OSX.

I doubt it. Apple has repeatedly said no PDA, Steve Jobs hates the Newton (although he disliked flash MP3 players...). I remember very recently in an article Phil Schiller saying something about no PDA.

I could see maybe a smaller, lighter, less featured laptop, but I doubt it. Apple delivers products that people want.

If they do anything like this, you think it'll be cheap? Look at the iPod, yea it's a success, but it's limited on what it can do. Add in a touch screen and/or keyboard, wireless, and you've got another $100. I would bet if they released anything it'd be $400 minimum. For a PDA, that's expensive. For a sub-notebook, that's too weak unless they use some crazy new version of the G3 made by IBM. But I just don't see it happening.

I'll bet three Rice Krispies and a banana that they will will bring a more featured video capable device under the iPod brand that will sync with iTunes.

H2OSX said:

HERE

As far as I know Apple's Newton staff was never fired, and this would be the perfect time for them to make a new newton. The iPod craze will get ppl to buy the im guessin around $300-400 newton b/c it will replace whatever is the high end iPod. I personally would love a new newton running a chopped version of OSX. I would like it to look something like the attached pic. Im wonderin what you guys would want it to be able to do/ cool features etc. Ill start us off:

Bluetooth
A 40-60 gig HD
Built in TV tuner
Good use of Inkwell
GPS
Firewire connections
An awesome screen
Good microphone
Built in scanner?
Speakers
And It has to look sweet (not that we have to worry, i mean this is apple were talkin about)
Oh, please. Not another beknighted soul who longs for the dearly departed Newton. Look, Apple may have any number of reasons for examining the eMate. Only the least likely would be a revival of the Newton. Two years ago--or was it three--Steve told you that the PDA was being folded into the cell phone. Not only has his prediction proven true, it has proven more correct than Steve let on. The cell phone is threatening the standalone digital camera. We are even awaiting the release of the iPod-compatible cell phone from Motorola. Not only do we have the traditional cell phone form-factor with a lot more functionality, we also have cell phones as gaming platforms. If you want to type on a keyboard, you have the Blackberry. How does the Newton compete with all these.

It is entirely possible that Apple is developing a super thin PowerBook or iBook. Our favorite fruit company may even be developing a new line of portable computers without internal optical drives. However, a revival of the Newton is about as likely as a revival of the Apple ///.

I agree.

Like the Pippin. I'm sure we'd all love an Apple-branded video game system, but it just ain't gonna happen... there's no market for it.

I wouldn't love an Apple-branded video game system. I'd think it'd flop. But a "iBook mini" or something like that: I'd simply love it.

Love the attached pic. If it were even half as pretty as that, I'd buy it in a second.

Kap

H2OSX said:

HERE

Bluetooth
A 40-60 gig HD
Built in TV tuner
Good use of Inkwell
GPS
Firewire connections
An awesome screen
Good microphone
Built in scanner?
Speakers

They build that, I'm all about it. But c'mon... Apple building what I want hasn't happened too often in recent years.

G4 iBook, iPod, G4 Cube (yes, I have three in total), iSight... Mac Mini. That's it.

I finally got a headless Mac, can't upgrade the CPU like my G4 Cube. But that? I doubt a Newton is high on their list because simply put, the MS Pocket PC hasn't been really pulling in the money for HP. Hell, Sony discontinued their Palm OS based stuff in the US. There's no Zaurus in the US.

I seriously doubt that Apple will enter the PDA market. It's just not lucrative.

At a time when PDA manufacturers are soiling themselves with fear over SymbianOS phones, I doubt we'll get an iNewt (although there's a Newton MP-somethingorother MacMod on MacMod.com called the iNewt - worth a looksee).

I just don't see it being viable for enough people.

But that's a nicer sized keyboard than I've EVER seen on a PDA.

The problem in the PDA industry isn't only the smartphones (but they're a big one...). Problem is that people really work differently. It's about mobility, right? There already are two starting points: Either you're using a notebook or a desktop computer. If you're using a notebook, you already _have_ your information with you, and the PDA has to be "less capable" than if you're a desktop computer user, where your PDA should give you ALL and EVERYTHING when you're on the way.

A "PowerBook Mini" (or whatever it'd be called) would probably be a companion Mac for the desktop people rather than a PDA for the notebook people (where often a smartphone is already enough).

The Newton 2000 & 2100 models accually came optionally with a nice sized seperate keyboard. The flip pannel that covers the screen was accually used as the stand to turn the Newton into a monitor.

The newton 2000 & 2100 was perfect for those who wanted to use the features of a PDA but could also quickly turn into a Desktop/laptop styled system for typing large documents, etc.

The dock is present in this version of Newton OS just like in OS X but just a cut down version.

Newton - Desktop style -->

Attachments

• Newton.gif
    Newton.gif
    32 KB · Views: 60
You wanna know what will happen? Apple will continue to develop the iPod...adding video...then a scheduler....then a camera....and just keep adding features and changing what it looks like until it is essentially a PDA

JohnnyV said:
You wanna know what will happen? Apple will continue to develop the iPod...adding video...then a scheduler....then a camera....and just keep adding features and changing what it looks like until it is essentially a PDA

That could be a great idea. But i think an iPod is an iPod a Newton is the answer to the questions between a laptop and a PDA i just wish so bad that it was updated or seriously reconsidered as an Apple product, even though the 2100 still out performs all or most of the latest PDA's today.

I still use mine everyday, chicks love it!.... the baby laptop;)

For what it's worth: Einstein (the software emulating the Newton hard-/software) is incredibly slow, currently.

Back