New OS, can't print

schafer

Registered
Have new computer -- PowerBook G4, 800mhz, with Mac X 10.2 installed. I upgraded to 10.3. Have an Apple Laserwriter II NTX printer.

Printer is connected to small cream colored AsanteTalk box that is connected to a light blue larger Asante router that is connected to my PowerBook.

Printer prints fine on test page but computer can't locate it. When opening documents, system reverts to 9.2 then back to 10 depending on what I'm doing. Can't install printer in chooser; can't install driver in 10.

Any suggestions?

Try leaving the printer turned on and powering off the Asante Localtalk box for a few minutes, then try installing the drivers in X.

• (1) Make sure Appletalk is on in the Network prefernces,
    (2) make sure Appletalk is active in Directory Access (it is off by default in 10.3, you'll find it in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder)

The LaserWriter IIntx is a Postscript 2 printer, so it should still work with Mac OS X. On the other hand, the IInt is a Postscript 1 printer and requires additional software (like ghostscript) to bridge the gap.

Thanks for your suggestions. I tried them both but still no printer. After much searching the web and reading many, many comments and suggestions, it seems my printer (level 1) is the problem. I've had the printer since 1989... guess it's time to move on.

Thanks again. :D

Make sure you aren't trying to print from a Classic program. If you are doing that, you may not have set up Classic to print from your network, something OS X does rather painlessly.

Are you trying to print from OS X or Classic?

I have an Asante box like yours and it has a built in print server. As long as your printer is connected to it, you need to set up your Classic chooser/Apple talk with the letters "lp" and then the IP address of your Asante router.

Mac OS X you can just "Add Printers" and you should have a built in driver that will let you do this quickly.

Hope this is a better answer than my last one!

:)

Back