New Tiger screenshots

Oh no! The battery menus are in German!! ;-)

Are the close/minimize/maximize buttons always gray, or is that an option as in earlier versions?

The 'grey' close/minimise/optimise buttons are of course due to the user using Graphite instead of Aqua, just like with 10.3...

I hope they add like different appearance sets. Or maybe like let us be able to colourize them in the system preferences. I reckon that would be pretty good.

Basically, yes. You can set up, for example, Mail.app to only allow a specific set of contacts and similarly Safari to only allow a specific set of sites.

cool! that would be great for my nephew (3YO) make him an account so he can only go to certain places on the web

Then again, the web's intended for exploring. Of course you'd have to give kids still the chance to _explore_ the web. I'll have to take a closer look at this, I guess...

The only problem with Tiger A8xx builds is that the CoreVideo/CoreImage libraries are taking time to update for existing video hardware (which is expected, and may make up part of the extended development time decision). For example, older hardware which isn't CoreVideo supported (specifically, the Rage 128 Pro chipsets) can't render transparency onto video, and video is slower than it was in 10.0.4. At the very least, it would be good to see speed of video on things like the Pismo at least stay the same compared to 10.3 when compositing/filters is not happening with the video...

That and a minor bug in Mail that breaks support for IMAP servers with testing SSL certificates.

Or maybe they'll have to either cut support for CoreVideo on those machines somehow or just drop support for those machines altogether... But there's still time. A few months at least.

Nice guesswork, but I don't buy it with Apple's record of setting the requirements for the OS before they start the code... it is part of good project management in any industry, and I am pretty sure they realized these issues would need time to resolve before a release. They wouldn't drop support for the Pismos just yet (I mean, come on, I had this argument before with 10.3 and the Lombard), especially when they meet the minimum requirements. ;)

They already said that older machines will use the CPU for any compositing on systems without CoreVideo-supported video cards, which is nearly everything before 2004. Although the support Pismos have in 8xx builds is improved from the WWDC build, which couldn't do ANY reasonable transparent compositing without creating garbage on the screen, and this included menu drop-downs. I was just pointing out that CoreVideo is far from finished, as they are still very much implementing sections of the CPU-bound code. It is just my hope they can get the basic speed of unfiltered video up to par with 10.3 (which they can, as the CPU-bound CoreVideo code will be a re-write of the current Quicktime video filtering/compositing code with some lessons learned from Final Cut and iMovie) by the time of release.

nothing really new in those screenshots... AppleInsider keeps us updated very often... and in English that is :)

Oh :) The shots on macnews.net.tc ARE in English, soulseek. All except one, of course. :) Is there a particular reason why you keep picking on me, soulseek?

the parent-control-thingy have a much wider use than within families. Universities and such can have information macs that are locked to certain pages (like their own homepage, or science-pages). That way they can ensure that people dont use them to check their web mail or do other fun stuff.

Does Tiger look more "aqua green" to the rest of you? I am running a rev A 17" PowerBook and it really looks like it has a green tint to everything now. But in a good way if you can imagine that.

Attachments

• Tiger.JPG
    Tiger.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 166
Back