newest tiger build performance?

blue&whiteman

PowerPC Fanatic
i'm wondering if tiger is worth buying at the end of april. I know there are a lot of great new features and improvements but I only want them if performance is up to par or even past where panther is. I have a G4 500 with 1GB ram and need an os that will give me the most speed. I guess my 1GB ram will help but I just don't want to lose any performance I have now with panther.

feedback please

So far from the description given by apple stores, the only aspect I see as a disappointment to some users with older Mac's is the iChat spec requirements :

"Video conferencing requires a compatible FireWire DV camera or web camera and broadband Internet access. One-to-one video conferencing requires a G5, G4, or 600MHz or faster G3 processor and 100-Kbps or faster broadband access.

Initiating a multiway video conference requires a G5 or dual 1GHz or faster G4 processor and 384-Kbps or faster broadband access. Participating in a multiway video conference and initiating a 6-person multiway audio conference both require a G5, 1GHz G4, dual 800MHz or faster G4 processor, and 100-Kbps or faster broadband access."

As far as I can see, you won't see any performance loss in Tiger, coming from Panther. The iChat thing only concerns _new_ features, the old iChat features work just as you expect them to.

However, if Tiger's featureset doesn't make you drool and if you can wait, I'd update only after you hear a "Go!" from the major support sites (including this one). Let other people (me, others) be the guinea pigs and get Tiger at 10.4.1 or something. :)

Back