nfs question

hgreenfi

Registered
Please excuse an nfs newbie question. I am trying to export "/media" on a linux box running RH7.2 to "/Users/mylogin/media on my os X 10.1.5 machine. The command "mount -t nfs linuxserver:/media media" from within my home directory results in a loss of all access to /Users/mylogin/media. ls, cd, umount, and umount -f all give Operation not permitted errors when run with media as the argument. "umount -fv media" gives the following output:

/Users/mylogin/media umount from linuxserver:/media
umount: linuxserver:/media: No such file or directory

Can anybody tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thanks...

Seems that os x nfs client wants to connect from a port greater than 1024. Had to specify insecure in /etc/exports on my linux box. Specifically my export now looks ike this:

/media macbox(ro,insecure,all_squash)

This seems to have done the trick. My understanding is that nfs is considered to be inherently insecure, but does allowing connections from ports higher than 1024 make things even less secure?

Yes I have tried mount_nfs to the same effect. As I understand it mount -t nfs simply calls mount_nfs. I got around the >1024 problem by changing the server configuration(see my last post to this thread). I am now able to mount the export almost succesfully. Seems the exported file system is only accesable from the command line. I can't access the directory in question with finder as it gives my a broken link error. Weird!! I am now trying to figure out how to setup uid mapping on the server in the hopes that this will fix things. I will post a howto once I figure things out if folks are interested. In the mean time, any body got any suggestions on how to fix the finder problem?

thanks...

Back