No new features for 3G ipod owners?

RyanLang

Charlie Brown
I got really excited today when I ran software update and noticed that there was an iPod update dated 7-15-2004. I figured at LEAST the 3G iPods would enjoy a nice firmware update that would mirror the new software features of the new 4G click wheel iPod. Well I'm sure many of you know that's not the case. So what's the deal? Is there a future update in the pipeline that will give 3G users the 4G features, or is the software features of the 4G the only incentive to buy one since they are still 20 and 40 gigs at the same price point? I'd really enjoy a more efficient menus and a 50% increase in battery power on my few month old 3G 20GB iPod. :(

You're automatically assuming that the new features you speak of (increased battery life, faster playback of audiobook content, etc.) are software-based.

I would think that the increased battery life alone would be reliant on some new hardware present in the 4G iPods, or, at least that would be a safe assumption to make.

Welcome to our world. Our meaning people that don't have the latest and greatest iPods. I sill am jealous of your 'on the go' playlists. ;)

Well... Guess it just is like that. The iPods _are_ upgradable, but Apple rather chooses not to give older devices the new features. Some features, of course, _are_ in fact hardware based, so it couldn't even be done in firmware. However, I'm pretty sure that Apple also keeps some features that _could_ be put on older devices from them...

But I kinda like that the iPods aren't treated like mini-computers that get new features all of the time and - along with that - the bugginess...

Well, I guess I'll just keep buying the middle model of every other generation. ;-)

2G 10GB model,
4G 20GB model,
6G ...? ;-)

But first I need that 4G model, of course... And I'll _use_ the on-the-go playlists, as I miss them on my 'old' iPod.

There's got to be a way to trick the iPod updater in thinking that your iPod is the 4G. Maybe all there needs is a slight editing of one of the files in the iPod's iPod_Control folder...

kainjow said:
There's got to be a way to trick the iPod updater in thinking that your iPod is the 4G. Maybe all there needs is a slight editing of one of the files in the iPod's iPod_Control folder...

or maybe u dont know what ur talkin about

I would like to see the 'shuffle songs' feature on my G3 ipod, surly that is software based and not hard to do.

Viktor

how will Apple get 1-3G iPod owners to upgrade if they made all the features of the newest iPod available to older iPods? wouldnt make much sense if they did now would it?

do you honestly think they would sell nearly as many iPods if they did?

it may be kinda bunk but thats business.

I must have misread the software update thing as I was sure it said that it did update the 3rd generation iPods.

I was also confused as to why it would update the new ones - shouldn't they come with this stuff already installed?

Over at the MacObserver, they had an interview with Greg J at Apple, and he said that they are not planning to do an upgrade to the 3G iPod to mirror the changes in the new 4G. At least not yet, since many of the changes in the new 4G are also hardware based.

kendall2 said:
how will Apple get 1-3G iPod owners to upgrade if they made all the features of the newest iPod available to older iPods? wouldnt make much sense if they did now would it?

do you honestly think they would sell nearly as many iPods if they did?

it may be kinda bunk but thats business.

i do somewhat understand, but at the same time, hardware is usually what drives new hardware sales, not the software behind it... take apples computers, they dont release a new OS that will only work with their new hardware every time they update hardware, do they? IMHO the single click shuffle IS software based, and would THEORETICALLY be an easy software update, they should be promoting ease of use across their whole line.

Don't think of the iPod as separate software and separate hardware. Apple sells us a package with a set of feature. That feature set is pretty much likely to stay until the machine dies. The small features Apple actually added in the past to older iPod hardware were just that: Gimmicks to say 'thank you' to the buyers of iPods. But: The iPod is no computer. It's a media player. That's how it is...

Jason said:
i do somewhat understand, but at the same time, hardware is usually what drives new hardware sales, not the software behind it... take apples computers, they dont release a new OS that will only work with their new hardware every time they update hardware, do they? IMHO the single click shuffle IS software based, and would THEORETICALLY be an easy software update, they should be promoting ease of use across their whole line.

first, we're not taking computers. second, Apple is a business, and they are in the business of making money. the iPod has been a breakaway success so i see no reason for Apple to retool their software update scheme. its obviously not hurting them. giving legacy iPods the same features as the current iPod could logically impact sales though.

and if you want to talk computers, then why isnt Safari available for OS X 10.1? or, why arent a lot of the features in 10.3 available in 10.2? its the same idea. people are not going to upgrade to 10.3 if a few of the key enhancements to the OS were to be made available to 10.1 or 10.2.

basically the core of the iPod remains the same, much like OS X, but if Apple wants people to continue to upgrade, they're going to have to make new features exclusive to their new releases. it would be bad business if they didnt.

[Edit] In reply to fryke [/Edit]

Yes, but wouldn't it be great if that wasn't how it was?

The type of argument you gave there really annoy me. They don't really explain WHY something is a certain way, they just say WHAT that certain way is.

WHY do Apple sell it as a package with a certain set of features??

WHY is the feature set pretty much likely to stay the same??

WHY should upgrades not be offered just because it's a media player??

WHY? WHY? WHY?????

I think it's funny how before these software updates come out, people don't mention that they need the features. Then all of a sudden, there is Shuffle on the main menu, and Music on the main menu, and multiple on-the-go playlists, and everyone instantly feels like they NEED these features.

If you want the new features, buy a new iPod, or else quit your complaining. It's getting old.

Back