ntfs hard drives

bolindilly

John Galt Member
hi, i was looking through previous threads about this, and no solutions have been offered. does anyone know how to mount an ntfs hard drive on the mac. there are about 50GB of files on this drive, so i can't transfer through a network... any help?

thanks,
bolindilly

AFAIK Darwin does not support NTFS. I think you would need to do it via SMB. I know 50 gigs is a lot, but at 100 mbit it shouldn't be THAT bad, if you have the time. :)

really though, network might be your best option. alternatively, you could plug it into a windows machine with two hard drives, and make one of the drives FAT. move all the files from the NTFS disk to the FAT disk, then plug the FAT disk into your mac. OSX reads FAT disks.

maybe there exist apps for MacOS that will let you read NTFS disks? this product from dataviz will let you do the opposite, but i m not sure if there is one that will do NTFS disks for mac.

If you have partition magic and a windows machine, you can convert the drive back to FAT32 from ntfs. I've done this many times safely and its been a life saver.

Tip to most other users- Dont use NTFS unless you really need to mess with permissions a lot. It can create a lot of headaches that a home user doesnt need.

Well, I have a firewire HD enclosure with an old HD [win2k on it] and all the files are fat32. It doesnt read the boot partition in os X [mounting bug, its readable/mountable and works in os9 or jaguar]...and it reads my data partition just fine , both are fat 32.

Back