OpenBSD for macppc

g/re/p

I can haz cigar?
I have the OpenBSD/macppc 3.4 CD and want
to install OpenBSD onto my powerbook.

I have two partitions and i want to leave 10.3.6 on the first partition and install OpenBSD onto the empty second partition.

I would appreciate input from anyone experienced at this
type of install.

You'll likely need to break up the second partition into a number of smaller partitions - OS X is about the only Unix I know that's happy with only one partition. In particular, it's the only one that uses swap files on the root partition, not a swap partition.

You'll probably want at least a separate /var partition, since that's where log files and stuff that can grow unpredictably lives (again, any 'serious' Unix does this, I don't know if OS X server does or not). This will all be part of the installer, so nothing to worry about there

I had LinuxPPC (a distro that has been dead some years now) alongside OS 8.6 for some time - that tells you how long ago this was. So I don't remember a lot of details, and what I do remember probably isn't so relevant anymore.

I run OBSD 3.6 on my powerbook. All you need to do is just slice the second partition. OBSD installation is not for the faint of heart. You will need to _READ_ everything on the screen. DO NOT JUST FLY THROUGH THE INSTALLATION, AS YOU WILL DAMAGE YOUR OS X INSTALLATION IF NOT CAREFUL.

Here is how mine is setup:

54G -> OS X
~10G -> OBSD

128M /
640M Swap
256M /var
256M /tmp
5G /home
Rest is /usr

It is best to put /, /tmp, /var, /home, and /usr on seperate slices,
because if something were to happen, then you have not lost
your entire drive, just that slice.