OS 10.2.6 is messin' with me...

banjo_boy

Bona Fide Pater Familius
Has anyone had this problem?

I open one of my folders, and sometimes another within, and all the icons changes to the same icon and it is hardly ever the one that represents the files inside. After that ALL my folders do that same thing until I reboot.

Any thoughts? No icon programs on my machine.

Woof. Sounds pretty bad. I've had one or two icons do odd things, but never the whole bunch. Does your machine have at least 256MB of RAM? Have you tried using Disk Utility to Repair Permissions? Would you consider doing an Archive And Install to put a fresh copy of Jaguar on your machine?

Try to boot from your Jaguar (aka OS X 10.2) CD 1 and run the Disk Utility! Repair both disk problems and permissions... First disk problems then permissions... Verify both until the Disk Utility will report no problems... If this will not fix the problem try to reinstall the 10.2.6 Combo Update. If you don't have that, find it and install it!

PS. Do you have any other apps/haxies that "improve" your OS X installation?

I'm bumping this just to vent, but I have had nothing but problems since the day (if not hour) I upgraded to 10.2.6 and it took a perfectly running DP 1 GHz and now has me thinking the OS 9 days were something to think of fondly. Printing, apps crashing, sleep issues and even finder freezes I have not seen since before OS X beta. I have no desire to dink around for a day to simply have a reliable computer again and I thought I could hold out until Panther, but now I am not so sure. I'm going to bite the bullet, reinstall and upgrade to 10.2.5. Sure I had a few little hiccups with other OS X upgrades, but this one seems to be the worse since day 1.

Why why why does this kind of thing happen with Apple updates? Don't they care about us? Don't they want us to be happy Mac users? What does this do to new Mac users and switchers? The people who want reliable easy to use computers? Hey Apple, I swear I was going to buy Panther anyway. You didn't need to do this to me as an incentive!

In OS 9 I would recommend holding Cmd-Option at start-up to rebuild the desktop. I don't know if this works in OS X, but try it.

Back