os e"X"treme slow

new_roti

Registered
hi all,

so i got a g4with osx 10.1.5 but its very slow at the moment. the other versions 10.1.4 were much than this one. is there any solution to speed up the os .
have already turned off the windows shadows, than it works much faster, but that's not the way i think! some software (defrag???)

help !

Originally posted by new_roti
and what about cheaper solutions???
have no connections to get it cheaper that apples prices!

Well, neither did we. ;-) But if you're a student or faculty member of an educational institution, you can get a pretty big discount from the online Apple store.

sorry nothing like this.
at the moment i think os9 was faster and easier to use like this one.
is there any hope that apple will give an free osx 10.2 upgrade!

no hope whatsoever... Understand that the features that were added in 10.2 are well worth the $129. If you choose not to buy it, then you will only be left behind. I installed OS 10.2 on my 266 iMac and it runs faster than OS 9 did on it.

this is:

launch the Terminal app (applications/utilities) and type
sudo update_prebinding -root /

enter your root password, hit enter, let the terminal go to work, restart, and X really WILL be faster!

To explain what is done here in a normal kind of way, and to quote the user "toast": "it's a way to make the links in the system (library links, commands, etc.) faster (update them = adapt them to the new applications you have installed). "

Once, if, you upgrade to 10.2 (recommended) this is no longer necessary. :)

thanks for your replies

i think the command line way is like these 2 apps Xoptimize or speedmeup (sth like this?!?) . let these apps run on a older version of osx . increase speed thats right. but after a few days weeks month it is still the same problem.

the last what i did was an update to 10.1.5 . hoped it become better. ok the first it was but now sssllllooooowwww!

the best way i heard allready was to update or reinstall 10.2 . so would take a bit if i got it. is the any alternative than limewire or hotline stuff?

You could also just try running a clean install of 10.1 and updating back to 10.1.5. That'll clear up everything if you're too cheap to get Jaguar.

thanks for your replies.

got now 10.2 works great and is faster than the older one!
wwwwrrrroooooaaaaammm!

Back