OS X.3 on a B&W G3

Finch

Insert something here...
So the orig. 6GB HD that came with my B&W G3 400 crapped out last night, not bad seeing how long the machine has served me. Not a big worry as the machine still has 2 40GB IDE drives and a 10GB SCSI drive. I tried loading OS X.3 last night on one of the 40GB drives but the install encounters errors? Odd as it ran fine on the 6GB drive...

Question is this, can I install OS X.3 on the SCSI drive, will the machine be able to boot from it? Should I need to install on one of the 40GB drives do I have to do the same as older G3 machines and have the OS reside within the first 8GB of a partion?

There shouldn't be any problems that I've heard of. The first time I got to play with 10.3 was on a B&W G3/350. It was a friend's and he had replaced the original drive with an 80 GB drive back around 10.2.3 as I recall.

Your drive may need repairing, and 10.3 is going to want journalling on. As for using a SCSI drive, you need to make sure that the SCSI card in your system is bootable. Many of the cards I've seen in B&W require drivers to work (in other words, they only work after you finish booting the OS).

I run X.3.2 on a 400 MHz B&W... absolutely fine. System is installed on a 40 GB HD plugged in place of the original 6 GB HD.

If the installation still fails, try to disconnect all other drives while installing. You can reconnect them after installation if that works.

Also, you may want to try removing the SCSI card before installing, should work by just replacing after you complete the install.

All is well again, I think both IDE drives being set to slave was causing the install issue, moved one to master and the other to cable select, Panther is running like a charm on one of the 40GB drives.

I took my old 10 gig drive, and i use that as a slave drive connected to my DVR 106, it never took MacOS X well, but as a second backup drive it works fine. I also noticed it doesn't even make the noise it use to, i guess the system constantly reading and writing was too much, now it is retired but still helpful.

Back