OS X app privileges across SMB Linux share

uoba

Re: member
Hello

I've set-up a Linux box as the main file and web server for our work. The SMB share works great (OS X has no problems connecting and sharing these Linux partitions... the same can't be said for the XP machine trying to share the SMB, but that's another story).

However, one irritation still stands-out. I have a share pointing to a partition titled WWW (yep, this is the Apache DocRoot on the Linux machine). All web files I work on, are here. So, I access these files from my Mac and work on this directory.

As an example of my problem: From within BBEdit (or any other app in OS X (Photoshop, Fireworks etc.) I can quite happily open a file from the Open dialogue box on the WWW Linux SMB share (navigate through it etc.) Once the file is open, any changes can then be saved by selecting Save in the File Menu (or Apple-S). However, if I select Save As, the application freezes for a second, then crashes. Strange.

I consider this to be a privilege problem with the apps on my Mac. But if this is the case, how can the app open and save without problems?

Any help appreciated. :)

Let me get this straight: when you open a file on a shared volume and try to save it directly to the shared volume by navigation (save as, not save) the app crashes? Do all apps do this, or only some?

I'm testing that now with my samba server and not getting that problem (with AppleWorks tested so far).

How do you connect to your samba share, Connect to Server -> smb://host.local in the Finder, or something else?

michaelsanford said:
Let me get this straight: when you open a file on a shared volume and try to save it directly to the shared volume by navigation (save as, not save) the app crashes? Do all apps do this, or only some?

I'm testing that now with my samba server and not getting that problem (with AppleWorks tested so far).

How do you connect to your samba share, Connect to Server -> smb://host.local in the Finder, or something else?

Seems as if all apps crash (not just BBEdit/Photoshop).

Normally I would connect as you say (Connect to Server -- Apple-K) with smb://ipaddress/share

Like I said, it would sort of indicate itself as a permissions problem, but the applications have no problem simply saving (as opposed to save as). Hmm, just had a brainwave (but maybe not... just thinking out loud)... All permissions on the share are set to root(or username):users 770 (rwxrwx---). The user I connect to the share as isn't root, but is part of the users group, so would be able to read and write. Everybody else is set to denied access. I would presume that the application such as BBEdit would act as the user when doing a save as. It wouldn't act as a different unidentified user would it? :confused:

Ok here's a continuation from the brain wave: keep in mind that samba (at least on RedHat) makes you specify two users, the samba user and its associated unix user.

I presume you duplicated a unix user who is part of the users group, and then selected him as your 'unix user'? If not that could be the source of your problem.

Otherwise, make sure that the share itself, as well as all child folders are set to allow execute (I made the mistake once of leaving off the --x which prevented many things working properly).

Yes, I set up as the Unix user. Using the smbpasswd command (file):
Code:
smbpasswd -u username
So, it's running as the user I have on the Unix machine as well (which is a Suse box).

When you mean allowing it to execute, do you mean as everybody else as well?
i.e. rwxrwx--x (as mentioned, I've got it set to rwxrwx---). I tried briefly to allow all permissions. Same problem though. :( (Thanks for the help by the way ;) )

That's very strange. Well, when I said allow execute at first i was thinking a+x but if you have g+x and the group's accessing it, that should do it (if that were the problem, which apparently it isn't).

I'm a little lost :S

Back