OS x Panther upgrade

schafer

Registered
Am attempting to upgrade to OS X 103 Panther.

Can't install -- get following message when selecting destination disk:

"Can't install on this volume. You cannot upgrade this verson of Mac OS X"

I have OS X 10.0.3 and 9.2 classic on my system. Am using PowerBook G4.

Hard disk info says: "27.9 GB (20.8 GB free).

Does all this mean I need an interim veersion -- 10.2? or something? I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks.

It means that you can't do an upgrade install from to 10.0 to 10.3. You will have to choose to either do an "archive and install" or a "clean install" (available under "options" if it doesn't come up automatically). An archive and install will preserve your user settings such as your network settings.

dagaz said:
It means that you can't do an upgrade install from to 10.0 to 10.3. You will have to choose to either do an "archive and install" or a "clean install" (available under "options" if it doesn't come up automatically). An archive and install will preserve your user settings such as your network settings.

Thanks for suggestion but "option" is grayed out -- the only thing I can do is select destination. The only destination available is hard disk, which I select, then get can't install message.

schafer said:
Thanks for suggestion but "option" is grayed out -- the only thing I can do is select destination. The only destination available is hard disk, which I select, then get can't install message.
You have to select the hard rive first and then select options, i.e. is options still grayed out even after selecting your hard drive? Also once you've first booted from the Install CD at the stage where you select the language go to the Installer menu and select Disk Utility. Once in Disk Utility select your hard drive and then run First Aid > Repair Disk. If Repair Disk found errors keep running it until it doesn't then quit back to the installer and proceed as above.

dagaz said:
You have to select the hard rive first and then select options, i.e. is options still grayed out even after selecting your hard drive? Also once you've first booted from the Install CD at the stage where you select the language go to the Installer menu and select Disk Utility. Once in Disk Utility select your hard drive and then run First Aid > Repair Disk. If Repair Disk found errors keep running it until it doesn't then quit back to the installer and proceed as above.

Well, I followed your suggestions... verified, repaired disks (minor problems), but options stilled grayed out. I'm really confused. I have OS 9.2.2 on this machine so upgrade should work, according to Apple. A bad CD?

I'm at a loss as to what to do next... thanks for your help, though.

Are you sure you have a 10.3 Install CD, not a 10.3 Upgrade CD? The Upgrade CD will only upgrade 10.2 to 10.3. For 10.0 to 10.1 you only have the option of doing an "Archive & Install" or a "Clean Install".

dagaz said:
Are you sure you have a 10.3 Install CD, not a 10.3 Upgrade CD? The Upgrade CD will only upgrade 10.2 to 10.3. For 10.0 to 10.1 you only have the option of doing an "Archive & Install" or a "Clean Install".

I have the "upgrade" CD. I thought I could upgrade and didn't need the "full install." Well, looks like that CD (there are three of them) are going back. Thanks, I went to the Apple site and read & read, but never found anything that differentiated between "upgrade" and "install." Thanks.

I appreciate the help.

Back