OSX and OS9.2 apps. compatibility?

fongster

Registered
Sorry for the recent flood of my ignorance as I have lived in the Classic world far too long, but...

All of my apps. and utilities are for Classic: Norton AV, Norton Utilities, Adobe Type Manager, not to mention Adobe PS, Illust., Acrobat. I know that I can run the classic stuff and run OSX apps. at the same time, right? But will NAV, NU, etc. work with/protect the whole system once I start using OSX? I would think they would but I'd need to be running Classic to do so or would they work on everything except the OSX stuff on my machine (would I need to also upgrade to versions that scan/protect OSX)? Thanks!

never used it myself but apparently norton is notorious for destroying things in osx, whether running classic or not. youre probably better off dropping it

I haven't had any problems with Norton under OS X, but a lot of people have -- it doesn't matter anyway, since your copy of Norton will probably only run under OS 9... OS 9 and OS X applications CAN run side-by-side under OS X, however, if you've got Norton AntiVirus or Norton Utilities installed under OS 9, then they will only protect the OS 9 "environment." What I mean is that OS 9 applications run in OS X in a sort of emulated environment, kinda like Virtual PC runs Windows on a Mac, but more transparent than Virtual PC.

To protect your OS X environment, you'd have to get a native OS X version of NUM or NAV, but I would hold off on that -- Norton Utilities seem to be of much higher quality when they were OS 9, and the OS X versions can cause a lot of unexpected problems, since the difference between OS9 and OS X is so great.

Back